[Feature idea] Dynamical design

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mcgiwer

[Feature idea] Dynamical design

Post by mcgiwer »

Hello. I have a ideas for a FreeCAD's feature for future versions. It isn't new because similiar solutions are used in some commercial CAD's (for example: Solidworks).
  • allow to simulate the parts moving to check how they would behave after assembly and eventually what need to get fixed
  • dynamically change of the parameters of a part with real time update of the preview
  • analysis of the part's proporties (mechanical, termal, etc.) to get the durability and other nessecary parameters
More will come
Last edited by mcgiwer on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature idea] Dynamical design

Post by chrisb »

This is already possible: There are Animator macro, Assembly3, Assembly4 which can do animations. However, they don't do collision detection. You can of course always use your individual own Python macro.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

From what you tell, it need a loot of improvement. Besides of that, I doubt that anyone who uses FreeCAD knows Python scripting ;-p

Thereof, it would be a nice thing if the mentioned be a one of the hard coded features that does not requite installing any addons, macros or extensions.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Except the simulating of the movement (but it is easy to install), everything is built in. Did you even open FreeCAD?
mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

user1234 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:58 am Except the simulating of the movement (but it is easy to install), everything is built in. Did you even open FreeCAD?
I had switched into it from other software not very long ago and need to learn quite much of it (already making progress)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mcgiwer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:42 am Thereof, it would be a nice thing if the mentioned be a one of the hard coded features that does not requite installing any addons, macros or extensions.
Why, what's in general the problem with calling a macro?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mcgiwer

Post by mcgiwer »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 am Why, what's in general the problem with calling a macro?
it's not a problem, but the macro need to become downloaded first ;-)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mcgiwer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 am it's not a problem, but the macro need to become downloaded first ;-)
Yes! But unless you do it yourself, it would take developer's time from other developers, which is a very limited resource. And it would take resource from all users, who don't use it (which is true for many other things as well).
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 am ... it would take developer's time from other developers, which is a very limited resource. ..
Totally agree with your sentiment there ;)
and yes I use assembly3 and dynamic data workbench plus macros to animate and do everything that is being discussed here (perhaps with the exception of collision detection)

but if anything could be improved (at least for me) is the macro location bit.
I would love if there was an option of choosing from different locations, rather than having just one location and having to swap it every time you are doing something different?
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

mcgiwer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:42 am From what you tell, it need a loot of improvement. Besides of that, I doubt that anyone who uses FreeCAD knows Python scripting ;-p
Hmm...in this you are quite wrong. Quite a few users are proficient in Python. And, it is not that difficult to learn; thousands of grade school, high school, hobbiest people use it daily.

Thereof, it would be a nice thing if the mentioned be a one of the hard coded features that does not requite installing any addons, macros or extensions.
No, that is the point of extensible software...the user can add and customize to their whim...you get to clutter it up with your desired features and others, who don't require what you consider a dire need, dont have to wade through menus with your favorits.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."