assembly 4 and existing part files

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Gary R

assembly 4 and existing part files

Post by Gary R »

All of the tutorials that I have found, build the parts after the creation of the workbench file. I have 3 files of parts that have to be assembled into a single entity. I can set up the Assembly 4 file but can't seem to figure out how to include my 3 part files. I've been using Freecad 0.2 for sometime but am new to Assembly 4. For that matter, this is my first time to try an assembly of any kind. A work flow diagram would be helpful.

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.0-10-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD CAICOS

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bitInstructions
Version: 0.20.25025 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: fb8b21ec43dca706a4aa2d63d59a4fb79f050369
Python version: 3.9.4
Qt version: 5.12.9Instructions
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Gary R
Gary R

Re: assembly 4 and existing part files

Post by Gary R »

I found "FreeCAD Assembly 4 workbench technical manual" on Zolko's Git page. It has a complete workflow layed out at the end of the file. Unfortunately, the very first instruction
Create a new document, create a new 'Model' with the macro 'new_Model'. This will create a new App::Part called 'Model' with the default structure
doesn't match version 0.2. There are no macro's in version 0.2. Have they been built in? Is there another command that does the same thing? Please clarify.

Gary R
a.l

Post by a.l »

Gary R wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:44 pm I found "FreeCAD Assembly 4 workbench technical manual" on Zolko's Git page. It has a complete workflow layed out at the end of the file. Unfortunately, the very first instruction
Create a new document, create a new 'Model' with the macro 'new_Model'. This will create a new App::Part called 'Model' with the default structure
doesn't match version 0.2. There are no macro's in version 0.2. Have they been built in? Is there another command that does the same thing? Please clarify.

Gary R
Try have a look at the annotated icons under "Assembly4 Commands" here: https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... S.md#usage
I hope it helps :)
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Thanks for the reply. That helped some. The new model icon creates a part and an assembly sub directory instead of part and model sub directory. I assume that assembly and model are the same thing. True?

Gary R