[Feature Request] Import/export buttons in the File toolbar

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature Request] Import/export buttons in the File toolbar

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

I think that it would be nice to have the Import and Export buttons available by default in the File toolbar. I know that they can be added to a custom toolbar or accessed differently (keyboard shortcut or File menu) but they are so often used that, in my opinion, they deserve a place in the default File toolbar. Especially since a few buttons were removed from it recently so the new ones could take their place.

What do you think about this ?
user1234
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Import/export buttons in the File toolbar

Post by user1234 »

+1; rarely use exports, but it is in fact very common in the CAD world. The place between save and undo looks good, when it will be realized.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would rate Import as not very frequent. That's something you do once at the beginning and then you start modeling.
The situation is different with export. A model is exported, used/checked by some other program, and then it needes squeezing and the cycle starts again.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I disagree.

The toolbar was just cleaned up to remove that sort of thing.

Import and export are exactly one extra click. Hardly a concern unless someone imports and exports minute by minute.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Oops, sent too early.
... Despite the fact, that export is more frequent than import, it still is only at a certain phase used, and I personally can do very well without it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

There are some different voices here so it's time for a poll: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74067

@paddle May I ask for your opinion ?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Just musing out loud here...not specifically about import/export, but customizing in general.

What is it about customizing toolbars:
  • do people expect all software to be streamlined to their personal workflow out of the box?
  • has the state of what is expected of software gotten to the point that people don't want it personalized?
  • how does any software address being everyone's everything out of the box?
  • if people don't want to make it personalized, does is make sense to spend time maintaining and updating the customization tools?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

1. I'm against adding non-essential items to the toolbar. This, imo is one of them.

2. Toolbar customization is good, and certainly is not out of place in this discussion. However, it must be noted that toolbar customization is a bit cumbersome, and the hard-coded toolbars cannot be customized the way that they are currently implemented.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

obelisk79 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:57 pm However, it must be noted that toolbar customization is a bit cumbersome, and the hard-coded toolbars cannot be customized the way that they are currently implemented.
A solution to this issue would indeed be, if all toolbars could be customized. Would be worth a feature request. It could well calm down some of the discussions about which tools to include in a bar.