Feature Request

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fester2251

Feature Request

Post by fester2251 »

FreeCAD 20.2

I have been using FreeCAD since version 0.9, and has come to do so many things right, I don't want this to sound like a complaint.

Using PART mode...
You create several components (cubes, cones spheres...), then use Cuts/Unions/Intersections to make what I'm calling an object. You then move the object around until you put it where you want it.

Oops! One of the cylinders isn't oriented correctly. If you delete the object to get at the components, all the components revert back to where they were before you moved the object. If you open the object to expose the tree, the components are all displayed where they started, just like if you had deleted the object. Now when you move the components inside the object, you're left to guess how that will display on the screen.

The way I am dealing with this problem now is: I try to move all the components to their final position before I create the object. That way, moving the components gives me the same thing I see when I close the tree to view the object.

In future versions it would be nice to have all the components move along with the changes in orientation of the objects. If you use Placement to move the components, Apply incremental Changes doesn't work until you press Apply. The same thing happens if you move components in Tree View.

P.S. In version 20.2, somebody forgot to include Help > About FreeCAD, unless you want us to read the version on the top line of the display.
"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"
-- John Maynard Keynes
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Feature Request

Post by Shalmeneser »

fester2251 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:53 pm P.S. In version 20.2, somebody forgot to include Help > About FreeCAD, unless you want us to read the version on the top line of the display.
<Copy to clipboard> button ?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

fester2251 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:53 pm FreeCAD 20.2

I have been using FreeCAD since version 0.9,...

Using PART mode...
You create several components (cubes, cones spheres...), then use Cuts/Unions/Intersections to make what I'm calling an object. You then move the object around until you put it where you want it.

As a long term user it seems that you have not acquired enough confidence with FreeCAD terminology.

There is no "PART mode" there is a "Part WB"

Object is a solid made by CSG (Boolean Operations)

and so on.

Plus:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

To supply correct infos about FreeCAD it has here for some time.

Kind regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
fester2251 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:53 pm Oops! One of the cylinders isn't oriented correctly. If you delete the object to get at the components, all the components revert back to where they were before you moved the object. If you open the object to expose the tree, the components are all displayed where they started, just like if you had deleted the object. Now when you move the components inside the object, you're left to guess how that will display on the screen.
+1 for the 2 options

conserve the original placement and possibility remain of the new placement (example compound created (0,0,0) moved in xxx and deleted)

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

consider using Part design instead so when you move the body everything inside it moves with it, otherwise place all the components inside a Part container as you crate them and change the placement of the Part instead of just one element.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

@adrianinsaval

see here:

if compute (realtime) : fusion erased the objects return in original place
essaisDeplacementReturn01.gif
essaisDeplacementReturn01.gif (400.34 KiB) Viewed 621 times

if not compute : fusion erased the objects stay in new place
essaisDeplacementStay02.gif
essaisDeplacementStay02.gif (371.3 KiB) Viewed 621 times

I don't know how to control compute or not compute

I am interested to 2 options

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.31625 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 72df7997700062b6a02f2f208e6291f64073fb88
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.6, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

In the second gif you still have selected the two components of the fusion not the fusion itself, since they are not visible changing their placement is not immediately visible, once you apply the change the fusion is also updated. It is expected behavior.
The maximum 90deg on y axis is not a bug either, there was a recent discussion about this, limiting this angle was actually solving a bug, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... =placement

The confusion here comes from user misunderstanding, if this workflow does not suit your style consider using Part Design or putting everything in a Part container as I mentioned before.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Can you modify the title of the 1st post to have a text more meaningful ?
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:45 pm In the second gif you still have selected the two components of the fusion not the fusion itself,
Ok the placement of the fusion display (0,0,0) and the object (10,0,0) now i understand

the two options are interesting
adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:45 pm The maximum 90deg on y axis is not a bug either, there was a recent discussion about this, limiting this angle was actually solving a bug, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... =placement
if this change affect my macros , i think going crazy

mario