ISO img = LINUXdistro + FreeCAD.15

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: ISO img = LINUXdistro + FreeCAD.15 (Powerful)

Post by NormandC »

bill wrote:Highly EDITED due to MYOPIC (def.2) Reception:

Anyone out there have the means to TRY THIS AT HOME.
Anybody have all the means.

But why would anyone do it? It would be A WASTE OF OUR TIME. If you're UNWILLING TO DO IT YOURSELF, then that's it.

Have I told you I find people writing in all caps EXTREMELY ANNOYING?????????????????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I like much that idea of a meta-package... Turn your existing ubuntu/debian install into a powerful CAD platform with one click! It's strange that this is not more used in other areas (graphics, music, etc...)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:It's strange that this is not more used in other areas (graphics, music, etc...)
KXStudio is a professional audio production Linux distro based on Kubuntu which can be either downloaded as an ISO or installed through repositories. In music production you need a low latency kernel which is not installed by default on regular Linux distros, so it makes sense to provide an ISO.
TT-RS

Post by TT-RS »

Hi,

I use CAE Linux and like it very much. This is how I got knew about FC. First It was FC 0.11 as I remember correct.

CAE LINUX 2013 is actually 2014 version :) It has FC 0.13 on-board and many other CAx software:

http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?o ... &Itemid=58

Yes, as quick61 said, they have problems with releasing new versions on time. Joel Cugnoni is busy, and there are few people willing to help him. But this Linux have got few hundred thousand users (including students, hobbysts, etc.).

I hope we will se CL 2015 soon.

I like idea of CAE linux, because you have everything you need on one DVD, download takes few minutes and you get CAD/CAM/CAE (including CAS and CFD), electronic (EDA/PCB) and mathematics software and programming environments, etc. Really cool.

There are some other Linux distros with "battery included" - for web developers, audio / video / GFX/CG makers, as well as CFD engineers (for example Geeko CFD on OpenSuse).