ISO img = LINUXdistro + FreeCAD.15

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bill

ISO img = LINUXdistro + FreeCAD.15

Post by bill »

Highly EDITED due to MYOPIC (def.2) Reception:

Anyone out there have the means to TRY THIS AT HOME.

Task: Put FreeCAD.15 into a BOOTABLE, ISO, INUX image with an automatic (SIMPLE: with no bells, no whistles, and no other options) installer similar to the LINUXCNC ISO available.

LINUXCNC (was: EMC2) is used all over the planet; from desktops to humungous factory installations of the Chinois, building the PCs you are using reading this forum.

BENEFITS:
Provide the abilitly to perform fool-proof installation;
Can be burnt to a CD or imaged onto a USB drive for portability;
Can be installed on those countless number of XP boxes that are becoming more and more useless every day (very ECO-Friendly);

DISBENEFIT:
NONE

Regards, bill
Last edited by bill on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: ISO img = INUXdistro + FreeCAD.15 (Powerful)

Post by NormandC »

Ahem... CAELinux ;)

Unfortunately it probably ships with an obsolete FreeCAD version.

P.S. IMHO it would be not be very useful to make an ISO with just FreeCAD on it, it needs to be a CAD/CAE bundle to make it interesting and it is exactly what these CAELinux guys are doing.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

You mean something like the ArtistX-DVD?

:mrgreen:
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ArtistX is based on Ubuntu 13.04 which reached end of life a year ago. Basing his work on a non-LTS version was very shortsighted. At least Ubuntu 12.04 LTS will be supported until April 2017.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

The CAELinux guys look like they have a great idea, but... It looks like they are way behind the curve. :(

I do agree that a CAD centered Linux distro that would be kept in line with the latest release versions of software and base distros would be a worthy endeavor. It just looks like the CAELinux guys have a bit to much lag. At least from what i see on their website. Latest release is CAELinux 2013?

I'm not finding anyplace on their site where they list even their feature software versions. Maybe I'll download the live version and give it a spin and see for my own self. :ugeek:

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

quick61 wrote:Latest release is CAELinux 2013?
Yes, but it was released on 09 March 2014. It's based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS so with our Daily Builds PPA you can get the latest FreeCAD. Of course other software may not offer this opportunity...

The problem with these specialized projects is that it interests a very small part of the open source community, thus there are not many volunteers to work on it. It's the same kind of problem FreeCAD has, when you think of it.

In my opinion, rather than try to maintain a full distro, they should create a PPA where they package the latest CAD/CAE software, so anyone using a Ubuntu-based distro could get access to it. It would be much less work I think.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

NormandC wrote:In my opinion, rather than try to maintain a full distro, they should create a PPA where they package the latest CAD/CAE software, so anyone using a Ubuntu-based distro could get access to it. It would be much less work I think.
Now that's a good idea. Have a metapackage that would install everything, or pick and choose a la carte. That would be much easier to maintain.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

There is also http://meikian.eu/
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

I would prefer the open-build-system. There you can build packages for all major distros, like debian, fedora, suse and a few more.
Would it be a good idea to switch also freecad and oce too? ;)
I think not everybody use Ubuntu flavours. So freecad could reach a much wider audience under linux than now. Every Linux-user could add the corresponding repo. And one can choose between using only releases or a more frequently or even daily updated packages of freecad.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Jeno,

We are not against switching to Open Builds, but the developers don't have the time to do it. I take care of the Ubuntu PPAs but I am only a moderately resourceful Ubuntu user and I already struggle with the Launchpad and Debian packaging. I've looked into Open Builds and it seems much more complex. If you're willing to learn then knock yourself out. Otherwise it won't happen until someone else volunteers, period. I've done my part and I wish more people would do the same.