0.16 Features We'd Like To See

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quick61
Veteran

0.16 Features We'd Like To See

Post by quick61 »

For the 0.16 development cycle, I was thinking that we might want to list the features we lowly users might wish for. Then the developers and those inclined to contribute code could pick 3 or 4 of the most popular ones, (that are attainable), and focus their efforts in that direction.

I figure, (and suggest), that Assembly should be left out, as well as Path, as those are separate animals and have a life of their own.

To start things off, here is my "wish list" -
  • Part Workbench - Sweep along multiple paths - issue #1587
  • Part Design and Part Workbenches - Cove tool, (reverse fillet) - issue #1742
  • Image Workbench - General TLC such as Icons and an image scale tool with scaling to dimension aids.
  • Possible merge of hamish's Dimensioning Plugin with Drawing Workbench.

I'm sure there ore others things I would like to see, but those are at the forefront of my FreeCAD thoughts these days. :P

Like I said, if we, the FreeCAD community, can come up with 3 or 4 things that we all would like to see in the 0.16 release, it could provide our most excellent developers and code contributors a direction to look. Providing that such features can actually be attained and provided within the release cycle.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
dubstar-04

Re: 0.16 Features We'd Like To See

Post by dubstar-04 »

I think this will be interesting to see what different people prioritise, just be careful not to offend any of the hard working devs!

I find it hard to pick just a few but mine would be:

1. Assembly (sorry)
2. More Complete FEM features (Developing quickly ATM)
3. Drawing workbench (Luke's that Ian is working on)
4. Global Variables from the spreadsheet module
5. Path (sorry again)

FreeCAD is developing so quickly that I tend to change how I use it and features become more or less important over time so this is very subjective.

Looking forward to seeing other peoples priorities.

Thanks,

Dan
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Wishes ... hmmm ... let's see
  • improve draft-shapestring-wizard issue 1973
  • perhaps integration of macro FCCircular Text
  • integration/improvement of macro WorkFeatures
  • yes, having improvements in Drawing workbench (ian-mrlukeparry-wanderfan) would be AWESOME ...
  • yes, integration of hamish's drawing dimensioning-workbench would be superduper ...
  • I made (bad) experiences with mesh workbench (exporting to obj could be improved)
Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

My list, as a user.

* tangency constraints for lofts
* fuse compound command, more tools related to compounds (e.g. compound filter)
* don't filter user input in value textboxes while user (me) is typing, please! Relax length limit.
* a feature to delay recomputes on per-object basis (I know shoogen has done something in that direction..)

There is a lot more smaller and bigger desires :mrgreen: . Now, my opinions on some of the above requests:
dubstar-04 wrote:4. Global Variables from the spreadsheet module
+1, although I've essentially made myself a workaround with sketch-to-sketch links.
quick61 wrote:Part Workbench - Sweep along multiple paths - issue #1587
+1. This looks to be very similar to what I want with lofts.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

DeepSOIC wrote: although I've essentially made myself a workaround with sketch-to-sketch links.
WHAT? :o
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

dubstar-04 wrote:WHAT? :o
:lol:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10043
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Good replies, keep 'em coming.
dubstar-04 wrote:I think this will be interesting to see what different people prioritise, just be careful not to offend any of the hard working devs!
Not the intent or purpose whatsoever. I would hope that this thread would be more like common suggestions, not any sort of demand. And yea, I sure would like to see at least a basic working GUI driven Path module, but like I said, it's it's own beast, or to say, it's it's own workbench, not a feature being added on to an existing one.
r-frank wrote: Wishes ... hmmm ... let's see
Now there's a couple I could agree on, maybe the 2 could/should be bound together? Improvments to ShapeString wizard including FCCircularText
DeepSOIC wrote:+1. This looks to be very similar to what I want with lofts.
If I'm understanding it correctly, maybe so. Having both would be ideal then? :P

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

As an architect, I use more the workbench Arch so here's what I like to see improved:
1. drawing Workbench Integrated dimensioning (if possible dynamics)
2. also filling patterns visible in cut objects when print.
3. Improved materials by object, with connection to filling patterns and raytracing.
4. I think could be useful if the draft work bench and sketch workbench were merged.

I think the measurement tool could also be improved, perhaps with an option to measure parallel to the viewing plane.

if the first two items are addressed maybe I could start using FreeCAD for professional use daily.
Of course there are more things to improve but I know that developers make a great such effort to keep all this work, which I appreciate and thank them.

thank you,
Renato
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you
drei

Post by drei »

Oh boy, I'm just gonna list stuff that leaves a hole in my heart because they're missing:
  • Sketcher WB: Add Splines, Chamfer Edges, Offset Curve, Polar Pattern, Linear Pattern and Mirror Curve options. I use this stuff daily in Solidworks and NX Unigraphics.
  • Add a Cube Viewer to orient the Camera View. Similar to either Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks. It's just too good to abandon that stuff after using it.
  • Draft & Drawing WB:
    • Dynamic linking of Dimensions to objects, or the option to update them on a recompute of the model or manually.
    • Add Cross Section and symbol (diameter, GD&T, etc.) support.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

dubstar-04 wrote:I think this will be interesting to see what different people prioritise, just be careful not to offend any of the hard working devs!

I find it hard to pick just a few but mine would be:
4. Global Variables from the spreadsheet module
This is work in progress already, I expect to publish something on github in 1-2 weeks.

Eivind