Unity3D

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
russnagel1

Unity3D

Post by russnagel1 »

Does anyone have any experience creating objects in FreeCAD then importing them to Unity3D. I am wondering about the process of creating a 3D object in FreeCAD. Then importing the object to Blender to make it look pretty, then using the object in Unity3D. Any thoughts?
yorik
Founder

Re: Unity3D

Post by yorik »

I don't know what kinds of files Unity can import, but probably it can directly import several filetypes that freecad can export, such as obj... Of course freecad deals only with geometry and lacks all kinds of tools related to texturing, so indeed you might want to pass through blender before...
russnagel1

Post by russnagel1 »

Thanks

Going through Blender to make things look nice was part of the process I had in mind. Have you gone from Free Cad to Blender?

Russ
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

.stl should work from FreeCAD to Blender.
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I usually prefer .obj because it can have faces with more than 3 points (in stl if I'm not mistaken you only have triangles), and also because .obj can separate objects better. But indeed both formats should work perfectly. There is .dae too that both apps support...
russnagel1

Post by russnagel1 »

The .obj worked quite nicely for me. Thank You for your help.

Russ
damian

Post by damian »

Hello:

The Wavefront OBJ works perfect for me. But now there is support for materials in Freecad 0,16.
Could it be possible to activate the material option in the exporter? The file .obj needs a line for every object:

usemtl materialname

I will use it later, for example with obj2rad, without an intermediate step in Blender.

Another improvement could be create the file .mtl, like Blender do.

The last revision of the Wavefront exporter improved the behaviour, but the sphere object remain out of support and crash the file.

Thank you very much.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

With the Arch module we already have complex materials support, indeed that could be easily exported to .obj I added that to my todo list issue #2139
cercata

Post by cercata »

Hi,

I have been testing Damian's new scripts for exporting materials with OBJ, it's nice.

Now my problem is that when I import "STEP with colors", there are no materials in the model, so they don't get exported in the OBJ.

Is there something I can do when or after importing STEP, so materials are created ?
If a go to my parts afters exporting, and I check "Apparence", there is a color asigned to each part, and I see the 3D view colored.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I don't know if FreeCAD can do with step formats with material(properties) attached.
Beside if other programs can export in that format. aac this site at least solid works can't

I try to look witch formats of Step we support. but i can't find that.
if only material name and density is fine i think we probably can. but if we can import step files with full material support i'm not sure...
see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10303 and http://www.ap209.org/welcome