Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ricorico94

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by ricorico94 »

Hi,

Sorry for raising 2 probably stupid questions, but I read all 18 pages of this thread and couldn't find answers to my questions..
- can we use this workbench to make the inner thread ? I see many pictures where bolts are positionned over holes in blocks of material, and I saw there's a setting to adjust on inner or outer diamateres, but I couldn't understand if they are simple holes or threaded holes so that the bolt is screwed inside these holes. And I saw in early pages a post from Ulrich stating he had little time for working on inner thread, but that was years ago.
- if we can't use this workbench to make the inner threaded holes, how do you do ?
- I saw a recent update was due for 3D printing, but I couldn't find setting related to 3D print. So which kind of difference does it make and how can I make sure that my bolt will be compatible with 3D Printing ?

Thanks a lot,
ricorico94
shaise

Post by shaise »

Using this workbench the only way to make inner threads is to use the inner thread tool.
This tool generates an arbitrary length threaded rod which you then place on the location
you want to set an inner thread, then use boolean subtraction to create the inner thread.
innerth.png
innerth.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
B.T.W this rod is specially designed to be a negative of an inner thread. It is not a standard threaded rod.

shai
ricorico94

Post by ricorico94 »

Thanks Shaise.
In theory,I guess there should be a small gap between the inner surface and the bolt surface to avoid too strong friction. Is it handled by this "arbitrary" rod ?

and also, any idea on this 3D printing "features" ?

br,
Ricorico94
shaise

Post by shaise »

You first need to set the option for 3d printed mode. (in preferences after you select fastener workbench)
And then, yes, the rod with be wider by several percent, so there will be enough gap to avoid friction.
ricorico94

Post by ricorico94 »

Good to know, thanks a lot: I didn't see these preferences and didn't know they were existing.

By the way, may I suggest to correct the github page ? The link towards this thread (I guess it's to this one at least) does not work: it is written "There is also an ongoing thread discussing Fasteners Workbench that is also a place to comment on", but I think the link has a wrong POst idea. ( a "0" in excess in thread number?)
And maybe a mention to this 3D Printing reference.

I feel eager trying your nice plugin now.. ;)
Thanks a lot again,
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

I love the Fasteners Workbench, unfortunately I'm using M3.5 ISO-7380 screws in my project.
As I can see, there is no way to create such screw. I'm forced to choose M3 or M4 screws... :(

Any clue?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have to change it in the source code of Fasteners WB - which is not too difficult.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

:roll:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:23 am :roll:
Do you know how to open a Github issue and ask for a feature request?
If not then this is a great opportunity to do so ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

I don't see any way to submit "Feature requests" on the Github project page.
I can only submit "Pull requests" or "Issues"... :?

https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_FastenersWB