Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
geekfisher

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by geekfisher »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 am I just created successfully a bolt with 2mm diameter.
What about an M2 threaded nut. M5 nut is working, but when I set threaded to true, it doesn't seem to thread it.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:31 pm
drmacro wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:00 pm If I didn't mess up the sheet metal stuff too bad I'll give this a go?
Of course :)
Fear not, we can always rollback changes in the wiki (https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?t ... on=history) ;)
When I select the workbench there is no Fasteners menu (i.e. between Menu and Window)
Attachments
Menubar.png
Menubar.png (48.54 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

BOM creates a spreadsheet in the FreeCAD document.

Maybe I'm missing soemthing about FC spreadsheets in general, but, how does one get the spreadsheet outside of FC?

I can select the cells and do a copy/paste into, say, Librecalc.

But, is that the intended workflow?

Seems export of some type would be appropriate.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

geekfisher wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:27 pm What about an M2 threaded nut. M5 nut is working, but when I set threaded to true, it doesn't seem to thread it.
M2 works here, but M5 doesn't.
Snip macro screenshot-9c2065.png
Snip macro screenshot-9c2065.png (7.9 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Usually threads are not modeled explicitely. Especially not with standard fasteners. If you really need it, e.g. for show purposes, you can as a workaround subtract the threaded screw tap from the untapped M5 nut; see attached file.
Attachments
m5Nut.FCStd
(119.13 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
geekfisher

Post by geekfisher »

I do not need them to appear but I need them to print. I tried doing a new m5 nut and select thread to true. Exporting it to an stl and importing the stl to tinkercad do not show threads. I didn't tried slicing it yet though...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

geekfisher wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 pm I do not need them to appear but I need them to print.
May I ask why you want to print an M5 nut? You can get them ready to buy, even in plastic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:11 pm May I ask why you want to print an M5 nut? You can get them ready to buy, even in plastic.
That is not nearly as much fun.
geekfisher

Post by geekfisher »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:11 pm
geekfisher wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 pm I do not need them to appear but I need them to print.
May I ask why you want to print an M5 nut? You can get them ready to buy, even in plastic.
Printing 3d printer bed spacers.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Be sure to use the 3d print compensation settings to get functional 3d printed threads.