Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by uwestoehr »

shaise wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:12 pm Hard to tell what's new as the workbench was developed independently from the FreeCad versions
Something that is new since March last year. If you don't have anything, no problem. (I am asking around to get the release notes ready.)
shaise

Post by shaise »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:51 am Something that is new since March last year. If you don't have anything, no problem. (I am asking around to get the release notes ready.)
Here are all the main changes since march 2021:
* Added DIN6912 screw.
* Add Package.xml and Code cleanup
* Change default Toolbar buttons grouping mode
* Add NFE27-619 countersunk washer
* Add left handed threads
* Improve fastener naming
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

shaise wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:05 am I definitely agree your code can be a great feature to add to FW. As I see it it should be a new button in the threaded rods group that is marked as "custom thread maker". and of course it should be parametric -
Hello again, Shai. I see that you and the rest of the Developers are busy with a major release deployment, so I just wanted to drop a note here to let you and anyone else interested know, that I've completed development of ThreadMaker Thread Shaft Macro. So whenever you get some more free "FreeCAD time", I'd be grateful if you could give this a review. Same goes for anyone else interested.

This macro fully implements/automates ISO 261 Metric Thread Standard, while preserving Custom Mode for free-hand dimensioning of any thread based on the ISO 68-1M Thread Profile Standard. I plan to have the Thread Insert Macro (internal thread counterpart) finished in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
May whatever Higher Power you believe in bless the Ukrainians. They are a decent people who never hurt anybody.
shaise

Post by shaise »

KurtF wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:05 pm So whenever you get some more free "FreeCAD time", I'd be grateful if you could give this a review. Same goes for anyone else interested.
Looks great and powerful! I also like how you find the closest match when you switch from custom to standard thread.
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

Awesome. That's a cool compliment coming from a seasoned FC Developer. I would also welcome any tips or improvements you might suggest.

When it came to making this table-driven, I had trouble finding where Fasteners was getting pitch lists for each size, so eventually I decided to skip the external table altogether. ISO261 gives formulas for tolerances; and so only the Pitch-Diameter table was needed; and that was small enough to exist as a class constant for now.

The convenience macros: Enable/Disable threads, could be updated easily to include Fasteners objects, by adding this line of code to Enable Thread Macro (and it's logical opposite for Disable):

Code: Select all

for objThread in App.ActiveDocument.findObjects("Part::Feature", "(Screw|ThreadedRod)"):
	if not objThread.thread:	objThread.thread = True
Are "Screw" and "ThreadedRod" the only object names used for FW objects with threads?
May whatever Higher Power you believe in bless the Ukrainians. They are a decent people who never hurt anybody.
shaise

Post by shaise »

KurtF wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:02 pm Are "Screw" and "ThreadedRod" the only object names used for FW objects with threads?
also nuts
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
alex_55

Post by alex_55 »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:29 pm x-posted FastenerWB issue: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10&t=69321
Actually an issue with object handling in the Render WB. Fastener Proxy objects set a type parameters to the type of screw (e.g. 'ISO7379).
The render WB expects that attribute to not exist, which is not good practice IMO

fix here:https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-render/pull/193
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

I just posted in Macros: ThreadMaker final release. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=69355 I think you'll like it for generating ISO 261 Metric threads, or Custom free-hand dimensions.

alex_55 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:34 pm Fastener Proxy objects set a type parameters to the type of screw (e.g. 'ISO7379).
The render WB expects that attribute to not exist, which is not good practice IMO
Umm... I just completed this 240+ hour dev. project which relies heavily on having it's Type set to a value which the code uses in it's view provider and creation dialog. I've not encountered anything in Python API documentation/wiki content about any other tools attemting to override it (which is not good design, IMO). :-)
felixcollins

Post by felixcollins »

Hi All, I just discovered the fastener workbench. What a fantastic resource. Of course there will always be some obscure item missing. I need one of those items. I'm using a self-clinching standoff. I found the one in the catalogue but unfortunately I need a blind one (no through hole at the clinched end). I wondered about just making a copy of the non-blind one and modifying it to suit my needs. Is it possible to explode/unlock the item to allow it to be edited? I'm using it as a part in Assembly4 workbench so not to worried about losing Fastener parameterisation.