Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by shaise »

Regarding task window, agree. need to take a look at it.
Regarding inch fasteners, these can be great upgrade. Should be in a separate code file, though, to not break the integration with ulrich's code.
alex_55

Post by alex_55 »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:02 pm Great work! When do you think you will start sending PRs to Fasteners workbench?
I want to add a usable compliment of inch based fasteners to the WB before I make a PR. The ToDo list looks something like this:
-2 slotted screw styles
-3ish styles of cross recessed screws
-Nuts, washers, and screwtap/die tools

I also need to dig into the countersinking and diameter matching functionality to make that work with non-metric diameters.
shaise wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:01 pm Regarding inch fasteners, these can be great upgrade. Should be in a separate code file, though, to not break the integration with Ulrich's code.
Hmm. currently I have just been adding into the screw_maker file. However, I would say that I have not actually broken the integration with Ulrich's code so far. For example, I was able to bring my fork in line with the recent changes to nut thread generation with minimal effort (see https://github.com/slowinternets/FreeCA ... 8c99b52d32 ). What about the additional types of fasteners (ISO 402X, ISO 7379, DIN 7984) that have already been added on top of the screw_maker macro? At your option, I can rework the changes to interfere less with the macro, but it isn't my preference.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

alex_55 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:40 pm
It's so great that you debloated ScrewMaker.py. That is awesome.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Hello folks,

Fastener workbench is great, but I still suffer from being unable to properly dimensioning screws with the Techdraw workbench. The Techdraw workbench simply make Freecad crashing when attempting to render a threaded rod because of the huge amount of details.

When I will be able to get drawings like this with the Fastener workbench?
Socket-Head-Drawing-1.png
Socket-Head-Drawing-1.png (34.97 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Also I cannot create partially threaded screws like in the DIN 931 standard.

So, to summarize, what I'm missing more is

1. a "simplified" view (like in the image above) that can be correctly interpreted by Techdraw WB,
2. the option to generate partial threads on screws and rods as well.

At the moment I'm still forced to export PNG images and create fake dimensions by using graphic programs like Gimp and Inkscape... :(
Selection_6939.jpg
Selection_6939.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi

maybe with Draft
DraftCotation00_000_000.png
DraftCotation00_000_000.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Setting "thread" to false before using the fastener in tech draw might help.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:29 pm ...
1. a "simplified" view (like in the image above) that can be correctly interpreted by Techdraw WB,
2. the option to generate partial threads on screws and rods as well.
The drawing is created by TechDraw, so the Fastener Workbench is not responsible for this. This topic has been requested a lot, however, it's not so easy to tackle because TechDraw doesn't really understand the 3D object; it just sees a collection of "edges", it doesn't know that a feature is a "hole" or another thing. It just sees "edges with so and so coordinates" and it displays those.

Further work on this is necessary, and it takes time, as there is only one main TechDraw developer.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

shaise wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:13 pm Setting "thread" to false before using the fastener in tech draw might help.
No. The result is a simple cylinder. The thread size and length is not depicted.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

vocx wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:02 amFurther work on this is necessary, and it takes time, as there is only one main TechDraw developer.
I understand this.
But what if setting the "thread" property to false produces a simplified view of a solid cylinder surrounded by a "transparent" one depicting the thread "bounding cylinder" made of pure edges and circles? (I hope you understand what I mean.)
In such case Techdraw should have no difficulties to render that.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Also, the possibility to have partially threaded for screws and rods could be really really handful.
A lot of screws have the shank not fully threaded. Also, by using a partially threaded rod, one can build his own screw.

I mean, a property like: "thread length = xxx" (millimiter or inches), measure from the end of the shank.