Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by shaise »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:12 pm Also, How does one add an arbitrary diameter/pitch tap/die for 3D printing? Or can it be done with Fastener WB?
if you have the latest Fasteners workbench you can create Tap/Die tools with arbitrary length and use boolean operations to create threads in your solid.
tapdie.png
tapdie.png (3.49 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
You might also want to go to Edit->preferences, select the fasteners settings, and you can adjust thread compensation for 3D printing.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

shaise wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:12 pm
drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:12 pm Also, How does one add an arbitrary diameter/pitch tap/die for 3D printing? Or can it be done with Fastener WB?
if you have the latest Fasteners workbench you can create Tap/Die tools with arbitrary length and use boolean operations to create threads in your solid.
tapdie.png
You might also want to go to Edit->preferences, select the fasteners settings, and you can adjust thread compensation for 3D printing.
Yes, but I get no way to specify an arbitrary pitch diameter of, say 58mm, for the condiment jar I'm holding.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
shaise

Post by shaise »

This unfortunately is not supported.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

ulrich1a wrote::bell:
@ulrich1a do you mind taking a look at: https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_Faste ... -643647137
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

fsc_2020-06-15_233006b.jpg
fsc_2020-06-15_233006b.jpg (62.87 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
This is not an issue. But IMO wb's name used here would be more attractive than a template name "My commands".
shaise

Post by shaise »

fc_tofu wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am This is not an issue. But IMO wb's name used here would be more attractive than a template name "My commands".
hehe you are right... :oops:
Done.
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

shaise wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:49 am Done.
Thank you @shaise.
alex_55

Post by alex_55 »

Here's a showcase of what I've been working on lately:
One oft requested feature that this workbench lacks is non-metric fasteners. (https://imgur.com/HZFjXGq)
1/4in and #12 screws, fully functional and parametric in my github fork :D

Currently the new fastener types are added as additional buttons in the command set. I recolored existing icons to a maroon red to indicate the different measurement system.

I also updated the code to store most of the fastener data in .csv files. This way I can edit/make new data tables using Libreoffice. (Previously, data was stored as hardcoded python dictionaries - awkward to work with!)

There is still lots to do. I want to get many of the most common fastener types working in Inch mode, as well as add some completely new features that take advantage of the more flexible sizing system. If you would like to check up on my work, see my github fork: https://github.com/slowinternets/FreeCAD_FastenersWB
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

I think this workbench is fantastic, and a must-have for all designers. But there is a minor usability thing that I believe could be improved: when selecting a fastener and changing its parameters (change fastener parameter), a Task panel UI appears, where the parameters can be changed, but instead of the current parameters of the currently selected fastener, 2 labels "No Change" are displayed. Also, the current parameters (type, diameter, length) are not shown in the window, one has to look to the tree to see the current diameter and length, and there is no indication of the type.

Wouldn't it make sense to pre-select in the combo-boxes the current parameters, which would be much more helpful than the "No Change" labels ?

FSparams.png
FSparams.png (220.62 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

alex_55 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:09 am There is still lots to do. I want to get many of the most common fastener types working in Inch mode, as well as add some completely new features that take advantage of the more flexible sizing system. If you would like to check up on my work, see my github fork: https://github.com/slowinternets/FreeCAD_FastenersWB
Great work! When do you think you will start sending PRs to Fasteners workbench?

Zolko wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:15 am Wouldn't it make sense to pre-select in the combo-boxes the current parameters, which would be much more helpful than the "No Change" labels ?
That makes sense to me.
shaise wrote::bell:
What do you think ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs