Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Posts: 9475
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby triplus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:23 pm

shaise wrote:
triplus wrote:
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select objects in the tree view and use Flip Orientation tool. But this is possible ATM by doing multi-select and changing the invert property in property view. The use of flip and invert terminology could settle on using only one term in both places?
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select edges and do multi-insert on multi-parts. This is possible ATM only on single part. I could insert all washers in one operation but for nuts i had to add one by one for each washer.
Done.
Works good. One observation inserting washers will still be inserted only on single-part.

P.S. But i must say looking at the latest commit you probably would know on how to get correct edges from selecting a face wouldn't you? For the use case @Jee-Bee mentioned. Anyway good work and Fasteners WB is quite close to being polished now.
User avatar
shaise
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 am

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby shaise » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:02 pm

triplus wrote: Works good. One observation inserting washers will still be inserted only on single-part.
Good catch! I missed the washers...
triplus wrote: P.S. But i must say looking at the latest commit you probably would know on how to get correct edges from selecting a face wouldn't you? For the use case @Jee-Bee mentioned. Anyway good work and Fasteners WB is quite close to being polished now.
Its not that simple, but I'm looking into it.
triplus
Posts: 9475
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby triplus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:19 am

shaise wrote:
triplus wrote: Works good. One observation inserting washers will still be inserted only on single-part.
Good catch! I missed the washers...
triplus wrote: P.S. But i must say looking at the latest commit you probably would know on how to get correct edges from selecting a face wouldn't you? For the use case @Jee-Bee mentioned. Anyway good work and Fasteners WB is quite close to being polished now.
Its not that simple, but I'm looking into it.
If it helps you:

viewtopic.php?t=7249#p58610

I think in this way you could get to the face edges and check for attributes like on your last commit (Curve, Center) to get only the circles from selected surface? But i am not sure if this should be the default option or selection behaviour if you will do it. Probably this is a candidate for specialized and separate tool?
User avatar
shaise
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 am

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby shaise » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 am

triplus wrote: If it helps you:

viewtopic.php?t=7249#p58610

I think in this way you could get to the face edges and check for attributes like on your last commit (Curve, Center) to get only the circles from selected surface? But i am not sure if this should be the default option or selection behaviour if you will do it. Probably this is a candidate for specialized and separate tool?
Well this part i already figured out, the thing is, I need to get the Edge's name for the parametric system to work (such 'Edge1', 'Edge2' etc...) and I did not find a function that retrieves it. The only way I know of now is to iterate over all the object edges, compare it with the selected edge and if equal, use it name. I don't like this way.
User avatar
shaise
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 am

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby shaise » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:58 am

Ok, I have added Face selection option. (Though I'm still not happy with the code)
When selecting a face and pressing one of the fastener buttons, it will insert a fastener in each of the holes on that face.

I have also added a cache system, so generation of exact same type fasteners multiple times, will be done much much faster.

shai
triplus
Posts: 9475
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby triplus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Surface.png
Surface.png (38.61 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Nice.
User avatar
shaise
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 am

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby shaise » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Update ver 0.0.10:
Added PEM metric studs
MetricStud.png
MetricStud.png (53.91 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Jee-Bee
Posts: 2129
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby Jee-Bee » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:04 am

End of the year hole catalogue of fabory is possible ;)
CkwA
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby CkwA » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:24 pm

I added your workbench to the FreeCAD Extras PPA. I should have asked before doing it. Let me know if it's a problem.
User avatar
shaise
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:11 am

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Postby shaise » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:34 pm

CkwA wrote:I added your workbench to the FreeCAD Extras PPA. I should have asked before doing it. Let me know if it's a problem.
Great! No problem at all.
You might also consider adding the Sheet Metal workbench