Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by triplus »

shaise wrote:
triplus wrote:
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select objects in the tree view and use Flip Orientation tool. But this is possible ATM by doing multi-select and changing the invert property in property view. The use of flip and invert terminology could settle on using only one term in both places?
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select edges and do multi-insert on multi-parts. This is possible ATM only on single part. I could insert all washers in one operation but for nuts i had to add one by one for each washer.
Done.
Works good. One observation inserting washers will still be inserted only on single-part.

P.S. But i must say looking at the latest commit you probably would know on how to get correct edges from selecting a face wouldn't you? For the use case @Jee-Bee mentioned. Anyway good work and Fasteners WB is quite close to being polished now.
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote: Works good. One observation inserting washers will still be inserted only on single-part.
Good catch! I missed the washers...
triplus wrote: P.S. But i must say looking at the latest commit you probably would know on how to get correct edges from selecting a face wouldn't you? For the use case @Jee-Bee mentioned. Anyway good work and Fasteners WB is quite close to being polished now.
Its not that simple, but I'm looking into it.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

shaise wrote:
triplus wrote: Works good. One observation inserting washers will still be inserted only on single-part.
Good catch! I missed the washers...
triplus wrote: P.S. But i must say looking at the latest commit you probably would know on how to get correct edges from selecting a face wouldn't you? For the use case @Jee-Bee mentioned. Anyway good work and Fasteners WB is quite close to being polished now.
Its not that simple, but I'm looking into it.
If it helps you:

viewtopic.php?t=7249#p58610

I think in this way you could get to the face edges and check for attributes like on your last commit (Curve, Center) to get only the circles from selected surface? But i am not sure if this should be the default option or selection behaviour if you will do it. Probably this is a candidate for specialized and separate tool?
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote: If it helps you:

viewtopic.php?t=7249#p58610

I think in this way you could get to the face edges and check for attributes like on your last commit (Curve, Center) to get only the circles from selected surface? But i am not sure if this should be the default option or selection behaviour if you will do it. Probably this is a candidate for specialized and separate tool?
Well this part i already figured out, the thing is, I need to get the Edge's name for the parametric system to work (such 'Edge1', 'Edge2' etc...) and I did not find a function that retrieves it. The only way I know of now is to iterate over all the object edges, compare it with the selected edge and if equal, use it name. I don't like this way.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Ok, I have added Face selection option. (Though I'm still not happy with the code)
When selecting a face and pressing one of the fastener buttons, it will insert a fastener in each of the holes on that face.

I have also added a cache system, so generation of exact same type fasteners multiple times, will be done much much faster.

shai
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Surface.png
Surface.png (38.61 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Nice.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Update ver 0.0.10:
Added PEM metric studs
MetricStud.png
MetricStud.png (53.91 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

End of the year hole catalogue of fabory is possible ;)
CkwA

Post by CkwA »

I added your workbench to the FreeCAD Extras PPA. I should have asked before doing it. Let me know if it's a problem.
shaise

Post by shaise »

CkwA wrote:I added your workbench to the FreeCAD Extras PPA. I should have asked before doing it. Let me know if it's a problem.
Great! No problem at all.
You might also consider adding the Sheet Metal workbench