Question about axonometric view

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Question about axonometric view

Post by wmayer »

The change is rather small: git commit 7c517e762099
So, before changing this back and forth it should be checked if the "standard" is different in different countries or continents.
mase

Post by mase »

A quote from rockn
Hello,
In my opinion there is now an inconsistent behavior or inconsistent ui design.
In the Views tool bar the fast acces to face view don't point on the right face.
According to this picture
I agree that the "improved" behavior of the axonomtric view, does not fit with the old gui.

So I build freecad.

my first commit is fit buttons on the new behavior

TO DO
- Buttons fit to new viewing style
- change place right with left button in gui
- new menu like "draw style" . Must include normed views from DIN ISO 5456 (dimetric, isometric and others) and program this stuff.

https://github.com/mase-tech/FreeCAD/tr ... etric_view
bild.jpeg
bild.jpeg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
- On this point I want to mention fat-zer and preacherAKAnd, who helped me to compile freecad.
- 2nd mark I suggest in freecad wiki a command-line to copy paste in terminal to have all dependencies
Feel free to visit :)

axonometric branch https://github.com/mase-tech/FreeCAD/tr ... etric_view
drei

Post by drei »

mase wrote:2nd mark I suggest in freecad wiki a command-line to copy paste in terminal to have all dependencies
I invite you to read our documentation, scripts are already provided at the bottom of the CompileOnUnix page.

Windows users have access to the Libpack, which contains all dependencies for FreeCAD.

Also, both Linux and Mac wiki pages have step by step instructions with the commands to simply copy and paste.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

rockn wrote:In my opinion there is now an inconsistent behavior or inconsistent ui design.
In the Views tool bar the fast acces to face view don't point on the right face.
mase wrote:I agree that the "improved" behavior of the axonomtric view, does not fit with the old gui.
Just to be clear the changes of the axonometric view are not related at all to the inconsistency of the left and right view. This was already there before.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:
rockn wrote:In my opinion there is now an inconsistent behavior or inconsistent ui design.
mase wrote:I agree that the "improved" behavior of the axonomtric view, does not fit with the old gui.
Just to be clear the changes of the axonometric view are not related at all to the inconsistency of the left and right view. This was already there before.
Hi Werner
If I understand correctly they are talking about the apparent orientation of the default cube, and hence its faces, shown in the icons. I still have an old 0.14 on this machine so I made and annotated this screen shot. The "F" in the model is on the "front" face. The orientation of the model is set to the earlier orientation clicking on axometric icon.
front14.jpeg
front14.jpeg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3647 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: c05801d6edff634a4edab338e4f66ceca6da3b72
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.1
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

wmayer wrote:
Hmm, what I am talking is related to recent change.
I will try to explain with picture (made with tools I have now ><)
Edit : like Jim :)

The old thing:
Starting from axo view of a primitive Box, you can see that the highlighted face in the icons match the face you will be "aligned" when you click on it. This is a user friendly behavior.
ViewOld_FC5170.png
ViewOld_FC5170.png (67.72 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

The new thing :

Starting from axo view of a primitive Box, you can see that the highlighted face in the icons does not match the face you will be "aligned" when you click on it. This is not a user friendly behavior. And this is the unconsistent behavior I am talking about.
And I think this is what mase try to change whith his commits posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&t=11911&p=97214#pr97201
ViewNew_FC5337.png
ViewNew_FC5337.png (62.21 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

Hope it's clear now. :)

That's say, I am thinking like Normand (Hi Norm' good to see you here :). The doc that mase show us is talking about technical drawing, but the change made is applying to camera position stuff... The old behavior was good, and I'm not sure it have to be changed, but anyway...
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

By the way, a lot of the icons used throughout FreeCAD are design around the old default axometric orientation.
mase

Post by mase »

So, before changing this back and forth it should be checked if the "standard" is different in different countries or continents.
as I started this thread, I argued from the "german side" where I am 100% sure that it is right what I say. I knew lot's of nations do it the same way like I mentioned, but I also know that some nations do it other way.

wmayer picked up a good point.

which standard in which country ?
so I searched on university websites for academic papers from other "important" countries.
First-angle projection (I mentioned + I have the papers) is standard :
- Germany (paper)
- France (paper)
- Italy (paper)
- Spain (paper)
- Russian (info from fat-zer and no paper)
- hole Asian room including china! (info from wiki, no paper)

third-angle projection
- US (paper)
- UK
- Japan (no paper)

I also looked to wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiview ... projection and the info there is conform with my paperwork.
First-angle projection... It is standard throughout Europe and Asia (excluding Japan).
First-angle projection was widely used in the UK, but during World War II, British drawings sent to be manufactured in the USA, had to be drawn in third-angle projection. This historical position of the UK means that some British companies completely adopted third angle projection.
I have no academic paper from asian room, therefore I have to trust wiki to not read chinese :D .

IMPORTANT:
I didn't find information about which kind of view is used in South America and Africa.

conclusion:
The hole world is using First-angle projection beside US,UK and Japan!

suggestion:
The fact that much more people grow up and using First-angle projection is in my oppinion meaningless for the question which view should be used in first place.

I recommand to implement in freecad the correct First-angle projection and third-angle projection to let people have a choice to be highly user friendly, because us boys want their rules but german boys want their rules.

I also recommand to place button or symbol like below in gui to be clear and userfriendly
bild.jpeg
bild.jpeg (2.36 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
So target is to implement First-angle projection and features in freecad. I forked freecad and made a branch. I will need help.
Feel free to visit :)

axonometric branch https://github.com/mase-tech/FreeCAD/tr ... etric_view
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

According to this document ....

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/documents/vc ... ations.pdf

...from the Victorian government (Victoria is one of the Australian states)...the Australian standard is for 3rd angle projection....

...however this is for technical drawings ...its not talking about 3d CAD models.

Its an interesting read, it explains the basics for technical and architectural drawing.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

We should settle and acknowledge XZ plane is Front View (as we already do). After that current view icons needs to become more "neutral". I will leave the icon work for others as i predict if i would invest the time there would be less chance for the work to get merged in master.

Quick demonstration (done under a minute) on how Front View icon could be made more "neutral":
View-front.png
View-front.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
After the icons are reworked there should be less confusion involved regarding views. But there is one more thing left to do. I propose to add all 4 axonometric views as (drop down) option and if the setting would persist that should satisfy all parties involved. Suggestion on how the icon (one out of four) could look (done under a minute):
View-axometric-SW.png
View-axometric-SW.png (3.89 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
  • Axonometric SE (South East)
  • Axonometric SW (South West)
  • Axonometric NW (North West)
  • Axonometric NE (North East)