Insert a human in FreeCAD ?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
emlaurent

Insert a human in FreeCAD ?

Postby emlaurent » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:02 am

Hello,

I would like to insert a human body in a freeCAD mechanical conception.
In fact, I would like to test the ergonomics of a system by positioning a human body. It would be great if we could move the body parts (legs, arms,...).

Is anybody have such a model ready to use ?

I search in the web and find not so much things. The only is http://www.makehuman.org/ which proposed a parametric human body and is programmed in python. The parameters are quite excessive for testing ergonomics as we could changed skin aspect and eyes colors !
Is it possible to implement some makehuman code in freeCAD ? I am to bad in python to say that...

Thanks
Emmanuel
jriegel
Site Admin

Re: Insert a human in FreeCAD ?

Postby jriegel » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 am

We have nothing for that so far, but I heard of another open source body model for games, which included
walking and so on....
Stop whining - start coding!
galou_breizh

Postby galou_breizh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Emmanuel,

if you want to move the body part, the best is to use the Robot Workbench. However, some programming is needed since, as for now, the Robot Workbench supports only 6-revolute-axis robots. A little C++ programming is needed to generalize this to n-axis robots. Then, you would need a vrml file of you body, but I guess this is not a problem.

Cheers,
Gaël
carlod

Postby carlod » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:53 am

take a look at this:
http://www.open3dproject.org/
it is a model released OS by zygote (the same as http://www.open3dproject.org/).
but you need to read carefully the licence to understand if is really 100% opensource.

you can open it into freecad very easily but i think you cannot move it..

carlo
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi all
I imagine that this is not good enough for what you are after but it is a real world example of what I did when I needed something vaguely similar.

This is perhaps best described as a "bodgy work around" that was "good enough" for my purposes. Not likely to be suitable professionally and other FreeCad-ers may laugh and think it idiotic, but this is what I did and it served my purposes.

I just made a "block" diagram style of human from solid "cubes" in part work bench. I then "positioned" and "rotated" the cuboids as appropriate to simulate an approximation of a human of a specific size in various positions. It actually worked quite well, for the limited needs of my project.

My usage scenario.
I designed a top bunk bed with cupboards and draws underneath rather than a lower bunk. I wanted to show it to my wife, for her approval, then make the bed myself, for one of my kids. My wife liked the 3d model. I coloured it white and pink and my daughter decided she definitely wanted it, now please, so long as it had a picture of a fairy as well! :)

Wife's problem
How high is that bunk? Is it up to my shoulders or closer to belly button height? Can I reach a toy or something sitting on the far side of the bed?

So I measured her, and made a block humanoid model to see. All parts made from solid "cube" (OK technically a rectangular-cuboid or whatever :) )

Hands just a cube, arms one each cuboid for lower and one each for upper arms (actually my cuboid wife had only one arm and one leg! (which was all I needed for this purpose), main body section one cuboid, cube for a head, legs were just one cuboid (i.e. no knees) as my "model wife" did not need to bend her legs in this case, then a cuboid for a foot.

Then I just "placed", and "rotated" the various cuboids to simulate different positions/posture scenarios.

I was then able to calculate that she would
1) be able to reach up to about "X"mm across the bed standing with flat feet on the ground,
2) be able to reach about "X+Y" when on "tippy toes"
3) need a stool of "so many" mm high to reach the far side of the top bunk.

She could also then visually get an idea of the scale of the bed relative to a human, which she had previously been struggling with when just looking at the plain model.

I should also point out that my real wife is far more attractive and would make a far better model than my "model wife"! :D

Jim
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:16 pm

IMHO the best/easiest way would be get one of those blender-ready rigs available on the net (search for "blender rig" or look here: http://jpbouza.com.ar/wp/downloads/blen ... enrig-4-0/ ), open it in blender, set the pose to what you need (corbusier-pose, etc...) and export it as .obj then import it in freecad...
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi all
Another quick and dirty way for a 2d humanoid representation is of course using sketcher. Then you can use the constrains to change angles of knees etc. Sketcher did not exist in a usable state when I made the model with solids.

I just now made a simple 2d humanoid in sketcher, padded it, also extruded it, (both worked) but then I managed to crash FreeCAD by dragging my sketch around with my mouse. At first this mouse dragging worked, then I did it again and FreeCAD just shut down. :o I think I was on 4914 as I had updated to the latest svn version just a few hours ago.

Then I noticed there is an svn update to 4915 so I started recompiling and can't therefore test my file again until its finished. When its finished compiling, I will see if it crashes again and post a new topic with all the information, if it does.

good night

Jim
emlaurent

Postby emlaurent » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:56 pm

hey, the problem seems to interest some other guys on the forum ! Great !

@jmaustpc I would be interested by your example. I probably do a similar thing if I cannot find something ready to use.
So, if it is working, could yo send me a file or an example ?

@galou_breizh : the robot Workbench solution could be interesting. I need essentially to move the legs and the system is symetric between left and right side. So 6 axis could be sufficient.
I would see about robot.

I would like to design a parametric pedal powered car and so i need to adapt the car's dimensions to the human body (which is also parametric). The most important thing concerns the legs and it is necessary to get different positions of the leg to check interactions with wheel, chair, ... Movement of arms are less important for first time

cheers
carlod

Postby carlod » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:54 am

I don't know if already exist a project over the web to develop a parametric human model..
If not, can be started using this document MIL-HDBK-759C (at page 137) for the Range of human motion and this document DOD-HDBK-743A for the human anthropometry (even if is an US military handbook, the dimensions are in metric system..).

Reading this post my mind flies and I imagine that in the next future an engineer can use the robot and human modules to assembly a production line that will be simulated with the ode library, everything inside a building made with the arch module, in order to develop an entire factory department.

After all, with CATIA it already can be possible.. :D

Carlo
carlod

Postby carlod » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:08 am