Creation of a FAQ post in the Help with FreeCAD subforum

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drei

Creation of a FAQ post in the Help with FreeCAD subforum

Post by drei »

Hello,
As many of you are aware we are constantly getting asked several frequent questions from new users and it has been discussed in the past the possibility of creating a FAQ either here or in the wiki. I won't be able to search for those posts right now since my mobile connection is quite limited (and expensive) so I'd like to propose the use of this thread to compile some of the most common topics to later create a sticky post in the Help with FreeCAD forum or in the already existing sticky (Important: Read before you post).

Questions that I've noticed are:
  • Where is Assembly?
  • How can I make an assembly of parts?
  • How to make a blueprint / plans?
  • How to make a hole in a non planar surface (side of a cylinder)?
So what's your opinion on this?
I'll gladly make the post later today in the other subforum, but I'd like to make it as useful and well developed before creating it.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
piffpoof

Re: Creation of a FAQ post in the Help with FreeCAD subforum

Post by piffpoof »

drei wrote:Hello,
Questions that I've noticed are:
  • Where is Assembly?
  • How can I make an assembly of parts?
  • How to make a blueprint / plans?
  • How to make a hole in a non planar surface (side of a cylinder)?
So what's your opinion on this?
I think this is a good idea. Other topics to add:
  • What is the difference between Part and Part Design workbenches?
  • Where is the 3D sketcher?
Is the intention to simply refer to the existing documentation or should there be more detailed tutorials (for example)?
Last edited by piffpoof on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ektus

Post by ektus »

Another one would be the export of parts for printing producing unexpected results when selecting all instead of the last feature in the tree.

I don't know if exporting blueprints to dxf or dwg qalready qualifies as FAQ, haven't been following the forum much lately.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

good idea. Why not make a FAQ thread, so questions +answers can be easily added later.
There is a FAQ on the wiki too, but it's pretty out of date.
drei

Post by drei »

yorik wrote:good idea. Why not make a FAQ thread, so questions +answers can be easily added later.
There is a FAQ on the wiki too, but it's pretty out of date.
Do you refer to a thread as another subforum? I'm ok with this, but I'm not sure how this would affect the Help on FreeCAD subforum. Would this turn the latter into a place to answer more specific questions? Like macro errors and issues with the modeling of unique parts?

I was thinking of having a very long post to serve as a directory, with links to other posts that answer the questions, either by creating individual posts dedicated to that question or link to an old forum post that answers the question. An example of what I thought is here. (The site is dedicated to a completely different topic, but the structure is more or less what I envision to some extent)
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Just linking in a page of relevant discussion: Creating Gallery of modeling techniques (I started it, got some positive input, but didn't do anything...)