import/export preferences pages

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ian.rees

import/export preferences pages

Post by ian.rees »

yorik wrote:I wonder if preferences pages regarding file formats shouldn't be added outside of workbench load, because those formats can usually be used even if the corresponding WB is not loaded. I don't think it would particularly slowdown the freecad startup...
+1 for this idea.

I've found it quite counterintuitive that Mesh workbench needs to be loaded to change AMF export preferences, but not to export AMF for example ;). -Ian-
NormandC
Veteran

Re: 0.16 Release

Post by NormandC »

ian.rees wrote:+1 for this idea.
+1 on the +1. It is confusing for users to have to load Draft to change the DXF import/export settings, when those have been moved to a dedicated Import/Export preference section.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Based on my understanding of FreeCAD workbench framework user will not be entirely happy until Preferences from all workbenches are shown when opening Preferences. Therefore by enabling the user to always have Import/Export settings visible by separating them from Draft module will still confront the user with the same FreeCAD Preferences behaviour for other workbenches. That is to have workbench specific preferences available you need to load the appropriate module first.

I could be wrong but i feel this won't happen soon. That is all available workbench Preferences to be available when entering in Preferences. Therefore i would say improvement would be to make Preferences section more intuitive.

For example add WB Switcher look-alike in it and when user wants to set Preferences for some workbench the user needs to select the workbench first.

By selecting it the module gets loaded and preferences are presented to the user. This is just one possible approach. Or another probably a bit better one. Fill the icon sidebar with icons of workbenches that can be extracted before the module is loaded. When user click on one the module gets loaded and if the module has preferences they are presented to the user.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

NormandC wrote:
ian.rees wrote:+1 for this idea.
+1 on the +1. It is confusing for users to have to load Draft to change the DXF import/export settings, when those have been moved to a dedicated Import/Export preference section.
+1 on the +1 and +1 :-)
yorik
Founder

Re: import/export preferences pages

Post by yorik »

I split this topic in two so we don't pollute the 0.16 release topic at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11557

in branch https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCA ... pref-pages I tested making the Arch and Draft import/export-related pref pages load at FreeCAD start instead of workbench start. Although one has to load the resources files which contain the .ui files, it doesn't seem to slow freecad startup down. If needed, it will also be easy to split the resource files in two (one containing only the ui files needed at startup), to make it load even faster.

For the Part and Mesh import/export pref pages (IGES, STEP and Mesh formats), things are a bit more complicated, since they have part of their functionality in C++ code, and are bundled into PartGui and MeshGui workbenches, which we certainly don't want to load at FreeCAD startup.

A solution would be to remove them from the C++ code, and load them from the InitGui file, like python modules. This is possible if the C++ code doesn't do any fancy thing, I'll have a look.

Werner, if you read this, what is your opinion?
cox

Post by cox »

How about loading the remaining unloaded workbenches when preference button is pressed. Quick startup and it would take a bit longer for the few times you enter the preferences.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

cox wrote:How about loading the remaining unloaded workbenches when preference button is pressed. Quick startup and it would take a bit longer for the few times you enter the preferences
Dislike. I'd suggest something similar to what triplus did in TabBar. That is, display as-is by default, display a clear message that some preferences are not shown, and provide a button to load all workbenches. It takes time!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Werner, if you read this, what is your opinion?
What about moving all module pref pages to one module? There we only have to make sure that this module doesn't link against the "heavy" modules. For most of the pages this should be doable as they only change user settings.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:making the Arch and Draft import/export-related pref pages load at FreeCAD start instead of workbench start
Hi all
I just wanted to say I hope we are talking post 0.16?

My point of view is having to load a wb to get its preferences to show is confusing particularly when the setting is not obviously a part of a specific WB like import/export of DXF for example.

But this is the way FreeCAD works currently, and this discussion is about a new feature, that needs to be debugged and is not appropriate in a "feature freeze" period, ...I am very keen to see that 0.16 release does not drag on any longer than necessary. :)

My thought is that a compromise in 0.17 could be to add some sort of button, or something, that is a "show all preferences for all workbenches" but by default just load the appropriate settings something like we currently do. If it makes sense from a technical point of view, then showing all the export preferences by default sounds like a good idea.
CharlieMAC

Post by CharlieMAC »

+1 to jmaustpc. This feature will probably delay the release of the 0.16 version. I'm comfortable having this great idea implemented in 0.17.