Right Click Menu Item Request

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Right Click Menu Item Request

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 am The only thing i miss is ending a feature with a mouse click against esc button.this could be just single click MMB or RMB with click and hold is still zoom or long click create menu.
You mean you frequently cancel features? Or do you mean ending continuous insert mode in Sketcher - which can already be terminated with RMB?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

no ending a function in terms of finishing. like the OK button but without press on Ok every time
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 am ....
The only thing i miss is ending a feature with a mouse click against esc button.this could be just single click MMB or RMB with click and hold is still zoom or long click create menu.
Usual RMB varies if it is on selected Objects or not (in that case it would probably refer to the 'container' of the click which is the part of the screen objects
RMB always toggles the menu with all of its interface standard options

i am all for streamlining that which exists and at least the developer setting would show a variety of verbose levels of all of the 'introspection' (question the object answers about the methods applicable to it) we can 'automagically' muster...
If we have standardized data sets enough - then there will be a whole new ease of use and linearity nirvana opening up...
Just my humble opinion...
Last edited by usertogo on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I’m not a real programmer. I have some experience with small python and than specially matlab related stuff. So what you probably try to point out on programming level I don’t know enough to follow you…
But I have some user experience with CAD software. With that contex I would say:
In my experinece what the RMB does depends on the actual WB. And that holds I think for all CAD packages… some could be general as visibility or delete. But whate the RMB shows in an assembly is different as in sketcher or on a drawing. Extrude could be in both part(design) and assembly. But often the assembly extrude has some restrictions(unable to add material for example).
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

I'd sure love to be a programmer too... My excuse is: I am blind...
I am always waiting for some breakthrough that takes us from being 'watchers of linear projections on screens (code lines) to watchers of higher dimensional flow (causing those lower dimensional shadows (all in paraphrasing Plato with his cave scenario)
Most of us fail to visualize what happens inside of a computer sufficiently - like that we never have a chance - Others will have to be become the interpreter. and producers of our shadows or light
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usertogo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 pm I'd sure love to be a programmer too... My excuse is: I am blind...
Are you saying you're blind literally or figuratively ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:37 pm
usertogo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 pm I'd sure love to be a programmer too... My excuse is: I am blind...
Are you saying you're blind literally or figuratively ?
Very funny ;) The blind CAD user with that braile FreeCAD rendering engine... thats me too
I am that I am :)
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

usertogo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 pm ...waiting for some breakthrough that takes us from being 'watchers of linear projections on screens (code lines) to watchers of higher dimensional flow (causing those lower dimensional shadows (all in paraphrasing Plato with his cave scenario)
Most of us fail to visualize what happens inside of a computer sufficiently - like that we never have a chance - Others will have to be become the interpreter. and producers of our shadows or light
Object oriented programming has exactly that promise - Objects invite visualization, their Methodcalls and Data Fields - some are already well integrated in the FreeCAD GUI. The most powerful thing the OOP creator can do is to automate as much as possible - the Object(s) bring the actions that can applied to them to the table! Fact that is very easy to be noticed in most well programmed OOP (I can remember back then when Apple and later Windows made exponential progress when they integrated the paradigm) - you will notice that the right click menu (RCM) is different if you have only instances of one compatible data type selected - if just one different Object is added to the mix - options will disappear out of their right click menu!

So my request for the RCM is try consequently automating via object introspection!
That counts for the RCM of elements of every screen container (everywhere but priority in the RenderWindow, DesignTree and already implemented DesignDataInspectors...)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I still think WB is more important than object. Creating or editing a part in Part or PartDesign request other features than when editing a sketch, drawing or assembly.

So at this moment you can’t convince me that you are right! Since you are familiar with Java I guess that learning C++ would be understood quickly. I would ask to clone FC, make some changes from a single WB (for example PartDesign) and show us
Maybe even a pull request.