Right Click Menu Item Request

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blj1884

Right Click Menu Item Request

Post by blj1884 »

No big deal, but if I enter Sketch mode while in Inventor Mode, I can not select freely like with CAD Mode. Right now if I am in Inventor Mode, I can not right click and switch back to CAD Mode as the navigation modes are not in the right click menu. Not super important/necessary, but it would be nice if I had that quick usage feature, and it would be hugely appreciated.

Also, When I select Complete from the tool menu drop down menu, I do not see the the Part Tool Menu with the new JoinFeature pipe icon on it. Again, just a request.

Thank you so much for all of your efforts in providing this program free, and free of being loaded with adware, Trojans and such.

Lastly, I tried to donate to the web maintainer as requested by the info I got from freeCads website. I tried but the paypal page wasn't in english and no way to change that. entered my donation amount and click the button for pay I though, but got back an error in another language; again no way to translate. Sorry, would like to donate if funds are needed.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Right Click Menu Item Request

Post by jmaustpc »

Please post your version data.

Generally a lot of us use Google translate, it would at least likely translate the error message.

Complete WB does not mean what I think you think it dors, it mostly should not be used, see the wiki.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

blj1884 wrote:Lastly, I tried to donate to the web maintainer as requested by the info I got from freeCads website.
Could you confirm you got the link from the Donate page? It links to Jürgen Riegel's account, he's the founder of the project but he's been mostly inactive for several months. The foreign language would be German.

Just checking, there are other "freecad" domains, the real one should be freecadweb.org.

In any case, as the wiki page says, the project does not really need money, but helping hands.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

blj1884 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:42 am ... if I enter Sketch mode while in Inventor Mode, I can not select freely like with CAD Mode. Right now if I am in Inventor Mode, I can not right click and switch back to CAD Mode as the navigation modes are not in the right click menu.
From my observations the deficiencies that I noticed on what is available in the right click menu fully depend on the active Workbench! This is counterproductive in a way because it requires people to know a lot about the different workbenches and what is available in them! A thinkable high impact modification could be to query for the selected design elements what are the available menu items in (user selectable) applicable workbenches and and after eliminating redundancies offer the most probable mix?

I suspect that having different workbenches is great for the project, as it effectively creates parallel competing design approaches that evolve partially together and partially separate, and are often still concurrently available to the user to achieve his design intent. Being a complete noob on Python I can hope for something similar to Java called Class introspection, where you can ask Java Classes to deliver a list of method prototypes available for them. I suspect that that would be the approach to fix the right click menu deficiencies? I am focusing on the right click menu because you don't have to know which tools are where - you select and hopefully find the selected object knowing itself and what methods might apply to it?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Well, you really appear to be a RMB guy. What you are looking for is already there, though not available at right click: Each workbench has its own menubar entry. Please have a look at them and see that such an amount of functions is very unusual for a right click menu.

Please note that 3D modeling is inherently more difficult and needs real brain work to be learned. Professional systems need 2 weeks for a basic course, with further courses following. And the attendants are not just idiots.
There is absolutely no way to replace this with whatsoever intelligent menus. It's not enough to have all the things in the right place, you really have to use them.

Furthermore please note that FreeCAD is not aiming to be a clone of some other system to which you might be accustomed.

The only way to get near your proposal would be to make the right click menu configurable so that you can put in there whatever you like and what meets your level of expertise.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 pm Please note that 3D modeling is inherently more difficult and needs real brain work to be learned. Professional systems need 2 weeks for a basic course, with further courses following. And the attendants are not just idiots.
I used to be Solidworks instructor 2003-2007...
Had a lot of time to think about it...
chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 pm The only way to get near your proposal would be to make the right click menu configurable so that you can put in there whatever you like and what meets your level of expertise.
I bet there is a way to automate it - it is the reason Object Oriented Programming (used to teach Java too) was invented! Objects can be wrapped with levels of inheritance that eventually can hand over the available methods to a requestor...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

usertogo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 pm Objects can be wrapped with levels of inheritance that eventually can hand over the available methods to a requestor...
I don't understand this. I always thought that classes are inheriting other classes, and not objects are wrapped with some levels. Or are you talking about a decorator design pattern?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:11 am I don't understand this. I always thought that classes are inheriting other classes, and not objects are wrapped with some levels. Or are you talking about a decorator design pattern?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-or ... rogramming
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

http://java.sys-con.com/node/35980
Maybe I expressed myself not quite technically correct since the required things for 'reflection' (know thyself) started from the bottom Object...

And yes there seems to be the equivalent functionality in Python:
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-an-equiv ... -in-Python
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I guess the issue is deeper than python only.
The base of FC is programmed in C++ with python links (don't know how to express otherwise).

I think indeed the RMB could be stronger. the hole UI could be stronger. but i think in all situations you get links in the RMB to it's own WB. That is in Creo and SW too.
like line, rectangle, circle in sketcher. or create sketch, extrude revolve in part design. etc

But i have to be onest. In Creo i have more options but i don't use it. I experience it as slower...
The only thing i miss is ending a feature with a mouse click against esc button.this could be just single click MMB or RMB with click and hold is still zoom or long click create menu.