Discourse forum software upgrade

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Discourse forum software upgrade

Post by Kunda1 »

Is there a way in discourse to ignore any new posts to a certain subform/category ? For example, non-english speaking forums ? I know this is something that @sliptonic requested a while back in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23365
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

discourse is all set up...let's see how it goes https://freecad.community

Continuation of this conversation over on the other side, if you would like to test it out. - https://freecad.community/t/continuatio ... web-org/32
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Thanks for setting that up! It's quite fast, I like it.

It may be possible to import posts, usernames and password hashes from phpBB to Discourse. The next thing to do is investigate that possibility with a small, scrubbed tiny subset of our database--probably with just a single post and with my username and a temporary password that I change it to just for the export.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks for setting this up!
I like that it has notifications as well
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Thx! I registered myself as user :D

PS I found that the FC favicon renders a bit too little on the browser tab

The uptodate FC logo is:
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

dimitar wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 am
Flarum looks nice and clean as well! It would definitely be good for for someone to test it. If it doesn't require another digitalocean or similar setup (which seems that it can get expensive quickly), then I may try setting it up on my regular hosting provider, unless someone else wants to experiment?
Thanks for setting up this Discourse instance. :+1:
I admit that if you (or one other) got some motivation to try to do same with Flarum, I'll be really interested in trying it also. ;)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

One thing about Discourse is that it absolutely requires a working email setup. I've been running my own mail server for a few years now and I can live with some downtime, but we would want something more reliable and not with a lot of effort of maintenance, but also something that's secure and freedom-respecting. I did some research and I think Migadu might be a good choice, especially since they may sponsor the project. They're a Swiss privacy-respecting email provider (datacenters in France) that's fairly simple to use. (Just got done demoing it for myself.)

https://www.migadu.com/en/about.html

https://www.migadu.com/en/privacy.html

I'm going to get in touch with them and see if they'd be willing to host the project's email needs, which would be pretty small for now.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 am PS I found that the FC favicon renders a bit too little on the browser tab
The uptodate FC logo is:
Good feedback,will adjust.

openBrain wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:57 am I admit that if you (or one other) got some motivation to try to do same with Flarum, I'll be really interested in trying it also. ;)
Would love to try it out, but it will be in a while...

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:11 pm I'm going to get in touch with them and see if they'd be willing to host the project's email needs, which would be pretty small for now.
:+1

It makes me think whether there would be a host that could be willing to host the forum. Or I started setting up a patreon for the test forum. With a big button somewhere, it may be easy for users to chip in to help with server costs.

Out of curiosity, how big is the current forum in size and how old is it? I imagine whatever the data loads are at the moment, they will be at least 4x as much, with all the dynamic elements that discourse offers and presumably at least 2mb upload limit (I've often struggled to reduce an explanatory gif in under 1mb), and an twice the assumed traffic load. Not sure if my math makes sense ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ChrisGammell wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 pm
Thanks for providing such valuable input.
dimitar wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:25 pm discourse is all set up...let's see how it goes https://freecad.community
Nice.

Now as i imagined only a few users created a testing account for now. Without some official push it likely won't happen anytime soon, for majority of people to migrate. For migrating officially at minimum a good financial strategy and plan would need to be made. Somebody has to have some insight and data on how much space and other resources are we currently utilizing with phpBB and that data should be used to determining what is a suitable Discourse hosting plan, capable of sustaining the FreeCAD community on the long term.