appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:45 pm In addition to the above issue, I added a Feature Request issue #2987 so that FC recognizes when it's been built by as an Appimage.
probono wrote:ping
Hey @probono is it possible ? Have you seen it with other programs?

Edit: Opened up a ticket on appimagekit repo: https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/issues/429
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @Kunda1.

I wasn't active on issue tracker for a while and didn't noticed you asked me for feedback. First of all this in my opinion has nothing to do with AppImageKit. Therefore opening feature request there makes no sense.

As for the info. Build type was added mainly to determine if Debug/Release build type is being used. As it turned out Sketcher performs much slower in Debug build. Now if we can append AppImage term i am not sure. If info needs to be compiled in i am guessing no. If it can be tempered manually i am guessing build script on Travis could be adapted.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:31 pm Hi @Kunda1.

I wasn't active on issue tracker for a while and didn't noticed you asked me for feedback. First of all this in my opinion has nothing to do with AppImageKit. Therefore opening feature request there makes no sense.
Thanks. Good to know.
triplus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:31 pm As for the info. Build type was added mainly to determine if Debug/Release build type is being used. As it turned out Sketcher performs much slower in Debug build. Now if we can append AppImage term i am not sure. If info needs to be compiled in i am guessing no. If it can be tempered manually i am guessing build script on Travis could be adapted.
I think it's useful to find out if we can append the AppImage term for bug triaging/troubleshooting. I've seen AppImage builds have some quirks not only in FreeCAD but also in Scribus. In fact, I'd like to see more info in the About FreeCAD window similiar to QGIS
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I don't know to be honest. The whole info situations feels a bit blown out of proportions to me at times. ;)

P.S. ATM i am more or less happy AppImage situation works as it does. For us providing and distributing it and for the end users using it.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:59 pm I don't know to be honest. The whole info situations feels a bit blown out of proportions to me at times. ;)
Slightly off topic: another example of having a verbose About FreeCAD info feature: Please re-implement locale informations (FreeCAD and Qt) shown in the FreeCAD info thread.

Edit:added by @wmayer in git commit b8a1e335dd36
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Right now, it's not obvious, to me, that AppImages are being built every day and uploaded to https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.17_pre
IMO opinion we need to add text to the pre-existing description to indicate this.

And on the subject (but slightly off-topic), can we make the naming of the 0.17_pre packages more uniform?
Currently (07/19/2017) we see this:

Could they all at least have revision number + date they were built in their name?
Also we have 2 obsolete windows packages listed. What's the reason we are keeping them ?

Code: Select all

FreeCAD_0.17.7745_x64_dev_win.7z
FreeCAD_0.17.7745_x86_dev_win.7z
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I checked if FreeCAD -v command returns anything in terminal. As it doesn't and needs X to be running i won't investigate this further for now. That is if it could be used to compose the name.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Another interesting phenomena:
When I went to run the Dependency Graph, FC AppImage doesn't look for it in the usual place /usr/bin/ like the source code says it should..instead it looks for it in /tmp/
Is this just a Manjaro thing or can anyone else replicate?
It may be a trivial thing...but perhaps something can be tweeked in the AppImage creation process so that this step is not needed?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I can confirm the same behaviour on Ubuntu. We had a few discussions about what to pack in AppImage. Currently we don't plan to pack more non essential software in FreeCAD AppImage. As that increases the final file size and sometimes it is desirable to use different version of non essential software from AppImage. In addition it can happen non essential software provided in AppImage can produce AppImage specific issues and therefore this become AppImage issues. Nobody ATM is interested in dealing with this. End users have the ability to produce custom AppImages by providing custom .yml file and in it listing different set of dependencies. Procedure works on variety of Linux distribution (highly likely including Manjaro).

Therefore when a specific AppImage question about non essential software not packed in AppImage is asked currently trying to provide a working solution is more or less considered as the issue being fixed. In your particular case the dialog is provided and you can set the path to graphviz executable manually to overcome the issue.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

FreeCAD isn't built as an AppImage, it' built on the PPA, and packaged as an AppImage from the PPA "assets" from Travis-CI as a cron job.
The about FreeCAD info is compiled in. To get the AppImage info into About FreeCAD we would need to do the whole process on Travis. Basically run Cmake, then hack the version.h file, then build, and package the AppImage from the Travis build. The script that @probono supplied uses the shortcut to use the PPA assets.

The file name is generated by the script that @probono provided. It parses the name of the PPA .deb binary package to get the date. We can rename the file and it will work, but right now the Travis cron job doesn't know the version. We could clone the PPA versioning branch, read it, and then change the file name on Travis, after build and before deploy.

The obsolete Windows version and the obsolete .AppImage are there because they are the last to have netgen support, which from a packaging point of view was broken with the Update to OCCT7.x on Win and Ubuntu.

If someone want's to propose some test for the release page description I'd be more than happy to add it. Or feel Free to totally re-write it. It used to be much better, but a few months ago we lost all it's content (probably do to some bad clicks by me). I promise to save a local copy this time.
"fight the good fight"