appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by Kunda1 »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:19 pm You may be making this too difficult. A static link to the download page(s) with a small amount of text at the top explaining what the various versions are for should be sufficient.

Clearly there should be emphasis on new user friendliness, but any user of FreeCAD must be at least a little bit comfortable with simple instructions.

The actual versions can change daily as required, but the links to the download page remain stable.
I agree but pushback on the fact that people are still getting this wrong. I'm seeing that in the tracker and I'm seeing that here in the forums, Reddit, and other CAD forums. And it's just going to increase as FC gets more popular because people are used to more streamline process when they download from other projects. I'm trying to work on solutions that will make things even more streamlined and less error-prone. If I get it to work then it shouldn't harm anybody right?

One of the problems for FC right now when we direct people to the developmental released page on GitHub, is that people are looking at the amount of commits that have changed since the release
of 0.18_pre whichh is inaccurate instead of realizing that developmental builder generated daily. Because we're not using GitHub release methodology the way it was engineered to be. And that is okay. But it is confusing. It's been like this for a while and I'm just choosing to try to tackle it now
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I fully support what you are trying to do. I am merely saying that adding a bit of useful text to the top of the releases page would accomplish the same thing, and perhaps more, compared to creating some sort of complex evolving links.

I believe that FreeCAD is actually one of the better open source projects when it comes to finding the correct download. Many are close to a disaster. That does not mean FreeCAD should not improve, but it is certainly not one of the "bad ones".

Gene
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:56 pm of 0.18_pre whichh is inaccurate instead of realizing that developmental builder generated daily. Because we're not using GitHub release methodology the way it was engineered to be.
GeneFC wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm I fully support what you are trying to do. I am merely saying that adding a bit of useful text to the top of the releases page would accomplish the same thing, and perhaps more, compared to creating some sort of complex evolving links.
Let's move this here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 04#p268561
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

What do people think of the idea of having the FC dev appimage using either manually coded logic or integrating appimageupdatetool to query github and see if a new appimage is available and notify the user that a new revision is available ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Another question, is it also time for us to add the conda Py3/Qt5 appimage on the Download page with a note recommending that users start using it over the py2 build?

Edit: my bad there is no 0.17 py3/Qt5 build
Cancel clear
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

So I've created a proof of concept that auto-updated the Appimage#Development version section with the most up-to-date revision of the appimage.
How it's done (warning: super hacky)
  • Within a python file invoke a bash script that queries the github release page API and grep's out the revision info (0.18.xxxxx)
  • Invoke pywikibot to login to the wiki (under my login) and alter the Template:Development-Version with the most up-to-date revision #
  • The Appimage#Development version has a transclusion that pulls the template revision number in to a url
The only issues is:
1) I need to figure out how to have the script auto-triggered when a new appimage is uploaded to github
2) figure out some pywikibot auto-login scenarios
3) add conditionals when the revision number isn't different, or workflow fails in some way
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

following to this thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p278945
it seems that FC Conda Appimage has a bug in the bundled libexpat version...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Will need to do some testing, as if downgrading the system provided libexpat version helped, then i am guessing the one from the AppImage isn't being used ATM.

P.S. I overlooked it worked with the AppImage and the issue started to occur with the PPA version:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32338

Therefore this likely isn't specific to AppImage but to some (newer) libexpat version. Quick check indicates Conda ATM doesn't provide the latest libexpat version, therefore in the following days i guess we will need to do some testing in this regard.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

For coin from conda we are using the included expat. So there should be a libexpat shipped with conda.

Expat is also available here: https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/expat/files

I guess the proper solution is to update coin to use this version. But I am not sure if this is already possible without patching.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

running: FreeCAD_0.18.15671_Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage
vs freecad-daily: FreeCAD 0.18, Libs: 0.18R15611 (Git)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15611 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 64a94ae0f7c60fc981086fe157150a9c0dca29c6
Python version: 2.7.15+
Qt version: 5.11.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

The app img do not show menu text (drop down menu are blank) and the spacing in the top menu is wrong..
On the freecad-daily, whats up with the icons?
Screenshot from 2019-01-20 21-23-24.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-20 21-23-24.png (60.93 KiB) Viewed 1673 times