NOTE: Drawing Dimensioning workbench is dropped from support

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
liutas4x4

NOTE: Drawing Dimensioning workbench is dropped from support

Postby liutas4x4 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:41 am

Hi

Like many others, I was very satisfied with Drawing Dimensioning workbench from Hamish.
But, after clean install on the new machine, I got the newest version of it from Git.
And found it is ruined: you cannot edit or move any text, including dimensions. While for freetext there are some kind of workaround, for dimensions it is not possible anymore.
And, it seems, I was the last one who posted on DD issue tracking page - Hamish responded that he is closing tracker because of lack of time.
Thanks the Lord I had a copy of old version of DD on my cloud.

For the rest of people there it must be clean: DD is dropped from support and for now is buggy. Hope someone will add a note about this fact on page of external FreeCAD features, for resolving future coming disappointments.

Eugenijus.
easyw-fc

Re: NOTE: Drawing Dimensioning workbench is dropped from support

Postby easyw-fc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:22 pm

liutas4x4 wrote:Hi

Like many others, I was very satisfied with Drawing Dimensioning workbench from Hamish.
But, after clean install on the new machine, I got the newest version of it from Git.
And found it is ruined: you cannot edit or move any text, including dimensions. While for freetext there are some kind of workaround, for dimensions it is not possible anymore.
And, it seems, I was the last one who posted on DD issue tracking page - Hamish responded that he is closing tracker because of lack of time.
Thanks the Lord I had a copy of old version of DD on my cloud.

For the rest of people there it must be clean: DD is dropped from support and for now is buggy. Hope someone will add a note about this fact on page of external FreeCAD features, for resolving future coming disappointments.

Eugenijus.
you can get any previous version from github anyway
https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... its/master
there is also a request for merging DD into FC 0.17 for a better support
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16590
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:51 pm

It was/is a cool add on but its functionality was temporarily needed while the new Drawing WB was being developed which took longer than expected because it's original developer finished Uni and ran out of time for FreeCAD. Other devs eventually developed it to a point where it was pushed into master last week. It's now called Techdraw WB and the older Drawing WB is still there.
easyw-fc wrote:there is also a request for merging DD into FC 0.17 for a better support
This has been discussed before and rejected partly for the above reason but also because Hamish used a license that is incompatible with being merged into Master, but not incompatible with being an add-on.
easyw-fc

Postby easyw-fc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:51 pm

jmaustpc wrote:
easyw-fc wrote:there is also a request for merging DD into FC 0.17 for a better support
This has been discussed before and rejected partly for the above reason but also because Hamish used a license that is incompatible with being merged into Master, but not incompatible with being an add-on.
the license seems not to be a problem
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16591#p131156
hamish wrote: Jim, I am happy to change the licence to LGPL2.
How exactly do I change the licence,
do i simply update the licence in the hamish2014/assembly2 repo?
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 am

easyw-fc wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:
the license seems not to be a problem
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16591#p131156
hamish wrote: Jim, I am happy to change the licence to LGPL2.
How exactly do I change the licence,
do i simply update the licence in the hamish2014/assembly2 repo?
yes I see, I wrote the above before I had seen the posts from Hamish, I thought you were referring to a previous user initiated discussion on the matter.
liutas4x4

Postby liutas4x4 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 am

hi,
It seems someone is working on it. Good news.
Moving and Editing partly possible now.

But "partly". Because I cannot delete previously (in an older version) created free text or dimension.

Eugenijus