Module idea - hole creator

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
efyx

Module idea - hole creator

Post by efyx »

Hi,
if someone will be intrested to perform (I have no skills :( - maybe someday) a useful modul for generating holes, it should work like that:
- clik on a icon and in a "combo box" you choose a type of hole (bore, threaded, countersunk etc..) then you choose a size of drill (dropdown menu with listed normative holes, additional can input something from hand) tolerance and depth of hole.
- then sketch opens and you put a points on plane, when close holes shows.

What do you think? :)
r-frank
Veteran

Re: Module idea - hole creator

Post by r-frank »

Hello.

This already exists.
Use the fasteners workbench based on screwmaker.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
efyx

Post by efyx »

Oh-really :shock: I used this module some time ago and didn't had that functionality. BTW one of the best working modules :) - I'll check in few minutes. THANKS
efyx

Post by efyx »

OK, my happiness was too early - hole creator is missing, there is such thing as hole calculator :) it would be much faster to prepare list of which we (users) could choose right one and put point on sketch and the circle with right dimension will appear or even pocket with choosed length.

One more thing would be perfect in this module. To add the start point, and then hole dimension table will appear as a spreadsheet I mean x, y distance from selected point and screw size and the depth. As I know sheise isn't working on it yet, how it looks like could someone add some code into it??
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

efyx wrote:OK, my happiness was too early - hole creator is missing, there is such thing as hole calculator :) it would be much faster to prepare list of which we (users) could choose right one and put point on sketch and the circle with right dimension will appear or even pocket with choosed length.

One more thing would be perfect in this module. To add the start point, and then hole dimension table will appear as a spreadsheet I mean x, y distance from selected point and screw size and the depth. As I know sheise isn't working on it yet, how it looks like could someone add some code into it??
This has been on my todo-list for a long time. As the new PartDesign has now been merged into master, it might be time to dig up my old code to implement this... However, I have a couple of other FreeCAD things to work on before that.

See viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4414 for the discussion about this last time (almost three years ago!)

Eivind