My dreams for FreeCAD -- the big picture

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
julianfoad

Re: My dreams for FreeCAD -- the big picture

Post by julianfoad »

NormandC wrote:
julianfoad wrote:I am sorry what I said offended you.
You didn't offend me, you annoyed me.
That was not my intention. I'm not a professional writer and I've no professional CAD experience at all. I'm just scribbling down ideas as best I can, because sharing seems more valuable than keeping them to myself. Thank you for reading as far as you did.
NormandC wrote:
julianfoad wrote:Did I miss some objects in the library that are para... um...
Maybe? Like, the fact that all objects in that library are parametric?
I have amended the text to clarify that I am referring to the notion I called "parametric templates" that I explained in the previous few paragraphs.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Julian here are a few comments on what I've read here: http://blog.foad.me.uk/2016/07/13/freec ... tured-cad/
I want my CAD software to remember how my model is constructed.
FreeCAD does this because it is a "Parametric CAD modeler" but there are a couple exceptions (Part WB > Refine Shape and Create Simple Copy). "Direct modelers" don't remember the model history.
If a shape is repeated in three places, I want to be able to modify that shape in one place and have the change propagated to all three places at once.
Draft WB > Clone does this.
If a face is rectangular, I want to know that its edges will remain parallel when I adjust its width.
This already exists in FreeCAD (either by editing a Sketch or by changing Properties in the Data Tab).
If each shelf in my boot rack is 18 mm thick, I want its thickness to stay at 18 mm and not reduce by 10% when I decrease the overall height of the rack from 1000 to 900 mm.
This already exists in FreeCAD (either by editing a Sketch or by changing Properties in the Data Tab).
I don’t want my CAD software to remember only the final, external shape, as if it is the solid block of plastic that was printed by a 3D printer,
This is the nature of parametric CAD modelers.
and to allow me to alter it only by cutting a bit off or adding a bit on to that external shape one face at a time, like a sculptor using a chisel (and glue).
This already exists in FreeCAD.
Cloning

I want to design a shape and then insert more than one copy of it.
Draft WB > Clone.
Each wooden shelf of my boot rack is made of three or five parallel strips, which I model as cuboids initially. Later I decide to smooth their upper edges. To do this, I want all the strips to be based on a single template, and I want to modify that template so that the upper two corners are rounded. I don’t want to have to manually select each of the 52 individual edges in turn in order to apply a 4 mm radius.
Delete all the cuboids (each is a "Cube" in FreeCAD) except one, modify it, and when you're done with that, Draft WB > Clone and re-position each Clone.
Basic repetition like this requires the ability to clone a compound object.
Yup.
Does FreeCAD provide a way to create and place two or more independent clones of the same base object, through the GUI? I can’t find a way.
Yes (already answered).

That's about as far as I got, but I think you need to learn FreeCAD a bit more in order to better understand what needs to be improved upon in the future...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bejant wrote:I think you need to learn FreeCAD a bit more in order to better understand what needs to be improved upon in the future...
+1

Until Julian learns enough to be able to do something like this I'd say. ;) viewtopic.php?t=14572&start=10#p117068
julianfoad

Post by julianfoad »

bejant wrote:Julian here are a few comments on what I've read here: http://blog.foad.me.uk/2016/07/13/freec ... tured-cad/
Hi, bejant. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and comment on them. I appreciate it.
bejant wrote:
I want my CAD software to remember how my model is constructed.
FreeCAD does this because it is a "Parametric CAD modeler" but there are a couple exceptions [...]
If a shape is repeated in three places, I want to be able to modify that shape in one place [...]
Draft WB > Clone does this.
If a face is rectangular, I want to know that its edges will remain parallel [...]
This already exists in FreeCAD [...]
Yes, I get that FreeCAD *can* already do pretty much all these things, and I already love FreeCAD because of this approach. If it wasn't already so great I wouldn't be here!

But I think you've slightly missed my point. I'm not asking how to accomplish each of these steps using FreeCAD right now, or saying it can't. Rather, I'm setting the scene for how I would *really* like my CAD program (maybe FreeCAD, but could be something else) to work, so that designing things would be delightful. Ok, *more* delightful if you already love it. I'm thinking about how to make this kind of workflow easy and quick, and imagining what sort of user interfaces could make it so.

I'm a software engineer, and for fun I'd like to enhance FreeCAD, and what I find most interesting is seeing the longer term picture, even if we call that "dreaming", and then figuring out how we might eventually get there.
bejant wrote:[...]
Does FreeCAD provide a way to create and place two or more independent clones [...]
Yes (already answered).
Oops, I somehow failed to find "Draft Clone" when I last looked for it, and so asked this dumb question both here and in a forum topic. However the forum topic became interesting because it revealed that simply cloning an object doesn't automatically ensure all changes show up in the clones, only some kinds of changes: we need to wrap a "Body" container around the object in order to add e.g. a fillet *inside* the body so it is cloned. I'm interested to explore what kind of user interface would make this task quicker, for example.

So I've added this text instead:
Basic repetition like this requires the ability to clone a compound object. FreeCAD has the "Part Clone" operation which does this. However, a complication arises when I later modify the original. Many modifications, e.g. "fillet", are done by wrapping the object with a transformed version of itself. The clones remain clones of the original object and so don't reflect that modification. One existing way to overcome this is to wrap the object in a container such as "PartDesign Body" (though it has restrictions) and clone the container; then the fillet can be made inside the container and so is reflected by the clones. Another possible design could be that the "Fillet" tool offers to update the clones to point to the new Fillet object instead of the original if the user so chooses.

We need to think clearly about the notion of "the original". If my table has four legs, I might designate one as the original and the other three as clones. Then if I want to modify them all in the same way I need to easily find the original, and make changes to it in such a way that the changes are reflected in the clones. Alternatively I could make an abstract (hidden) original, and make four clones of that. The abstract, hidden "original" might then be called a template. If I want to make a unique modification on each leg, this approach might be easier to work with, because the difference between the template and the first leg is completely clear, and I can easily choose whether I'm making a change to the template or to a particular instance.
Thanks to your feedback, I hope that's better.
bejant wrote:That's about as far as I got, but I think you need to learn FreeCAD a bit more in order to better understand what needs to be improved upon in the future...
Do *you* have your own visions of the longer term future for FreeCAD, or for what you would like a not-yet-invented CAD system to do for you, that might or might not be possible one day in FreeCAD? I'd really love to hear them.
Attachments
BootRack-r722.fcstd
(88.82 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

I'm rushed now but will post back later...
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Be aware with what you're writing on forums or on blogs. Not everybody understand what you intended to say.
as you noticed here on the forum the most readers understand it completly different!

Non FC users read and think " ohh that features are not possible … what a crapy tool".
The FC users over here know (more) what is possible and what not, so they tell you what you where you can find the features you searched about but not found.

If you unaware or unsure about features ask before posting it is nicer to help forward than burn down afterwards :o :shock: !!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

julianfoad wrote:Hi, bejant. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and comment on them. I appreciate it.
You're welcome, although I have the feeling that I'm misinterpreting some of what you've written.
julianfoad wrote:But I think you've slightly missed my point.
Quite likely!
julianfoad wrote:Rather, I'm setting the scene for how I would *really* like my CAD program (maybe FreeCAD, but could be something else) to work, so that designing things would be delightful. Ok, *more* delightful if you already love it. I'm thinking about how to make this kind of workflow easy and quick, and imagining what sort of user interfaces could make it so.
FreeCAD has changed a lot lately with Part Design Next and TechDraw now in 0.17, and other WorkBenches are improving rapidly. I think (from a user only frame of mind) that how to make the workflow quick and easy would vary hugely depending on the WB(s) and what the user is trying to create.
julianfoad wrote:I'm a software engineer, and for fun I'd like to enhance FreeCAD
That's good new to read, and I'm sure the developers will welcome your help. Reading the issues in the bug tracker might help you become more familiar with what other people are experiencing and what enhancements they would like to see added to FreeCAD. There are a bunch of little things in there to enhance FreeCAD, maybe you will find one or more you'd like to try doing.
http://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view_all_bug_page.php
You can always tackle bigger things if you prefer.
julianfoad wrote:Do *you* have your own visions of the longer term future for FreeCAD
Not so much right now because I need to get much more familiar with using the 0.17 dailies first, and I've got other non-FreeCAD stuff going on right now, so that will take a while.
julianfoad wrote:or for what you would like a not-yet-invented CAD system to do for you, that might or might not be possible one day in FreeCAD? I'd really love to hear them.
When I think of something along those lines I usually post here in the forum first for feedback because the idea often is a result of an issue someone else is experiencing. If the idea seems acceptably plausible then I'll make a ticket in the tracker.

Thank you for your interest in FreeCAD and willingness to help!
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

My dream for FreeCAD is to have an online web full FreeCAD so that we can forget about Linux, Win, Mac, etc and focus on just one version that works for all. "Open source OnShape" ;)
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

pablogil wrote:My dream for FreeCAD is to have an online web full FreeCAD so that we can forget about Linux, Win, Mac, etc and focus on just one version that works for all. "Open source OnShape" ;)
... but then people without internet access (still many in latin america and africa) could forget about FreeCAD ;)
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

yorik wrote:... but then people without internet access (still many in latin america and africa) could forget about FreeCAD ;)
an open source web application could be easily installable locally and launchable in a browser :twisted:
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com