SVN version is 5000 -- Party time???

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: SVN version is 5000 -- Party time???

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote:1) "print preferences"
you said that it looks better when printed as PDF, I was going to say you can change the background colour in FreeCAD preferences and that by default FreeCAD uses the display mode (editable in COMBO View) of "Flat Lines". If you change the display mode to "Shaded" then it appears as it does in the PDF. I guess the behaviour is reasonable in that FreeCAD is deciding what to print for what might be called a "display mode" or "output mode", or whatever.

But I could not find anywhere in FreeCAD to adjust "print preferences" for adjusting things like this in the print output.

Should we have a feature request in Mantis for "print preferences"?
Possibly useful, eventually. I know I could have gotten this result with the 3D view by fiddling with settings, but it's too cumbersome. See below.

What I'd like too is a global way to change the linewidth of part edges. Right now it's 2 pixels and I haven't found a way anywhere to change it to 1px (which looks nicer and is the norm on most CAD apps) than on each part properties.
jmaustpc wrote:4) Should there be an easy "GLOBAL" way to change the display mode???
Should there be an easy "GLOBAL" way to change the display mode from FreeCAD's default display mode (individually or by highlighted items editable in COMBO View) of "Flat Lines" to whatever without having to try to select all items first??
Definitely. This is something that I miss in FreeCAD. All major CAD software have buttons to change the global display mode. Right now you have to change the display mode for each object. My cake has many (the plate, the cake, candle, flame in 2 separate drops and logo in two separate components), it's just not convenient.

I'm not sure what it implies code-wise, so maybe it's too much to ask for 0.13. But it should be done eventually IMHO.

I think I'll create enhancement requests in mantis for both these features so they can be tracked.
jmaustpc wrote:When one's code commit percentage actually reaches FreeCAD's default precision value ............... Norm has to bake you one of his FreeCAD CAKES!!!!
LOL :lol:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi everyone
I just experimented with Norm's cake, ...... seriously Norm your cake is a great thing because it shows off a few of the cool abilities of FreeCAD.

The Global changing of display mode is far worse than I thought because you
1)not only have to select everything you want to change but
2)you also have to DE-SELECT everything that you CAN'T change.

I expected FreeCAD would be smart enough to just ignore the "I can't do's" (Sketches and folders) but instead it refuses to allow the display mode to be changed until these items are de-selected.

If you could simply "select all" from somewhere and it ignored all the "can't do's" then having a global setting would just just be a minor convenience. But the way it is, it is a real pain in a big project having to carefully select just the correct bits down the tree and through folders etc..

Jim
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I just looked at the time stamps, your 5001 comment is 11 minutes later. So I only got "11 minutes of fame and glory"!!!
Nice, but with svn up -r5000 you can also force to get a certain revision. ;)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hey, Werner, have you ever tried this? 8-)

svn up -r1

??

I wonder what happens?? 8-)

BANG!!!!! FIZZZZZZ POP BANG!!!

OH! Whoops! :shock:

:D