Question on icon colors

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
agryson

Re: Question on icon colors

Postby agryson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:21 pm

triplus wrote:That is you decided to paint the fence and one board is broken. We went through the whole process of what needs to be done and now I guess it just comes down to will you take the hammer and put a nail in it before painting it over or not.
Well, the analogy works both ways - I want to strip, sand and inspect all the planks so I know how many nails I'll need before painting... each their own perspective I think! :P

I see many improvements that could be made and I think you can see that I have the technical ability to make those changes, but I think that work takes multiple people to do it right (and I certainly want to be involved in that!). What I'm doing is typically the work I would give an intern at work due to the lack of guidance needed (the guidance is already in the guidelines).

I still don't know why changing the geometry is a prerequisite to aligning them to the guidelines though... :?:
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Lets return to the Mesh WB after you do the Image WB. Things will likely start to make more sense then.
pablogil

Postby pablogil » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:16 pm

NormandC wrote:As for the subject of missing icons, I just thought of a few needed ones in the new PartDesign workbench:
  • Part container (currently the same icon as for Group is used in the tree, but the Annotation icon is used in the toolbar)
  • X_Axis, Y_Axis and Z_Axis (currently the distance icon is used!)
  • XY, XZ and YZ_Plane (currently the distance icon is used!)

Hi, I had a little spare time to design the icons... you can freely discuss them, they were done pretty quickly but maybe they fit inside PartDesign:
icons.png
icons.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Notice I have changed the XYZ to fix with the 3D view "axis cross" where:
  • X = red
  • Y = green
  • Z = blue
Attachments
coordinate_system_v01.zip
(41.6 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
agryson

Postby agryson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:31 pm

They look great @pablogil. Do you mind me applying my grid/tango technique at this stage or do you prefer to work on them more?
pablogil

Postby pablogil » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 pm

agryson wrote:They look great @pablogil. Do you mind me applying my grid/tango technique at this stage or do you prefer to work on them more?

Of course, actually, I was waiting (and praying) for you to improve them :D
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
agryson

Postby agryson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Great, I should have time tomorrow. 8-)
agryson

Postby agryson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:37 pm

And I've finally finished all of the mesh workbench icons! :lol:
The only thing left to do is add metadata (I've come across no icons that use metadata - not even for the licensing). This is also suggested by the tango guidelines. Once basic metadata has been added, I'll open a new thread to discuss pulling it upstream.

As requested by @triplus, here's an icon sheet with the icons at a native resolution of 24 px, old on left, new on right on various shades of background.
IconSheet.png
IconSheet.png (88.19 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Points of note: current icons often have poor background contrast - this is resolved by tango's specified outline and highlight strokes. The lower saturation colors of the tango palette also improve contrast on 'mid-value' grays (e.g. the red arrow on object to mesh - it looks ok on the current icons on light and dark backgorunds, but not on the gray)

@pablogil: I can move on to your icons now ;-) -> then metadata!
agryson

Postby agryson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:25 pm

pablogil wrote:I had a little spare time to design the icons...
Here is my tango treatment of your icons @pablogil. They're at the standard 64px, but are nice and clean all the way down to 16px.

pablogil_sample.png
pablogil_sample.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 210 times

edit: typo
Attachments
pablogil_icons.zip
(39.99 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
saso

Postby saso » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Uuuu, so beautiful :) but the gray Z axis could go a pixel or two a bit more to the right ha? ;)
agryson

Postby agryson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:36 pm

saso wrote:Uuuu, so beautiful :) but the gray Z axis could go a pixel or two a bit more to the right ha? ;)
Thanks - and yeah, the z-axis was centered, but scaling down leads to antialiasing issues where it fuzzes out at 24px, but shifting the whole axis by a pixel would introduce the same issues for the blue version! So I went with the former. :?

edit: add emphasis