Rationale behind support face requirement for pocket?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
j-dowsett

Rationale behind support face requirement for pocket?

Post by j-dowsett »

Wondering if someone can explain the reasoning behind requiring a support face for a pocket? I'm simply trying to better understand the philosophy of FreeCAD, hopefully to make it's use more instinctive to me.

I've had a few occasions where no support face exists and it's necessary to create a pad and do a boolean cut. Is this an intended/accepted consequence, or am I missing an alternative solution?

This screenshot provides a simple illustration:

I've noticed that pads have a 'Mirrored extent' property, I assume this has not been implemented yet?
wmayer
Founder

Re: Rationale behind support face requirement for pocket?

Post by wmayer »

Wondering if someone can explain the reasoning behind requiring a support face for a pocket? I'm simply trying to better understand the philosophy of FreeCAD, hopefully to make it's use more instinctive to me.
A pocket is a hollow i.e. it removes some material from another solid which is done with boolean cut operation. But you can't do a cut with "nothing".
I've had a few occasions where no support face exists and it's necessary to create a pad and do a boolean cut. Is this an intended/accepted consequence, or am I missing an alternative solution?
As shown in you screenshot that's the way to go. A pocket always needs a plane as face and thus doesn't work with cylinders or other surfaces.
I've noticed that pads have a 'Mirrored extent' property, I assume this has not been implemented yet?
AFAIK it's not implemented.
j-dowsett

Post by j-dowsett »

Thanks. Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Thinking about it the behaviour is the same as I'm used to, just that the make-pad, boolean-cut steps were hidden/combined into one 'extrude as cut' step.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Actually the pocket is at the moment really done for imprints on planar faces. for your use case I would do a different feature.
You can do this by adding the support by hand...
Stop whining - start coding!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jriegel wrote:Actually the pocket is at the moment really done for imprints on planar faces. for your use case I would do a different feature.
You can do this by adding the support by hand...
Out of curiosity, do you plan for the Pocket feature to eventually be able to handle a case like j-dowsett's?
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Sure! the problem at the moment is we can not automatically find the support. We need the MainPart (Main Body) feature for that.
Stop whining - start coding!