New to the forum - pretty excited

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bunta

New to the forum - pretty excited

Post by bunta »

Hi, all. Happy New Year's Eve!

Just a new guy checking in. I started using FC in earnest a few days ago and have been pleasantly surprised. The forum appears to be quite active.

I have lots of questions but will hold off for a while until I get a better feel for the abundant info already available.
soaring

Re: New to the forum - pretty excited

Post by soaring »

Welcome !
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Welcome here, and Happy New Year! Hope you don't have a hangover! ;)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

bunta wrote:Hi, all. Happy New Year's Eve!
Hi bunta and welcome! Happy New Years to you!
bunta wrote:The forum appears to be quite active.
Yes!
bunta wrote:I have lots of questions but will hold off for a while
Ok, but if you get stumped on something, don't hesitate to post back.
bunta

Post by bunta »

Thanks, guys! Happy New Year. No hangovers. :mrgreen:
groverlee

Post by groverlee »

hello all!!! I am new to the forum and have been using freecad for about 3 weeks now. I was a Unigraphics / NX power user for years and have been looking for a CAD system to use at home. I love the potential that FreeCAD has. I am looking forward as to how this evolves. I am also hoping to slowly learn Python programming so that I may one day contribute to the development of this product.
groverlee

Post by groverlee »

As I look through the forums, I am wondering if there is a "best practices" manual for using FreeCAD? I have noticed that there are things I do, that come very easy to me, but may not seem too obvious to new users. If there was a "getting started" section to solid modeling, it may be advantageous to those curious about CAD
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Welcome to the forum.

I think best to start is with the FreeCAD manual (http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manual / https://www.gitbook.com/book/yorikvanha ... al/details for the pdf version) both for version 0.16. Most of it will work on 0.17 eighter and a bit more...
and 0.17 best practice topic for all new stuf see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15432
comeinandburn

Post by comeinandburn »

Hi Everyone, I'm new here too :)

I'm coming from Blender where I've been using it for 3D visualization, modeling etc. for the past 7 years or so. I have touched FreeCad on and off for a long time but had a few false starts... Parametric modeling is so different from Mesh Modeling :(

I finally made the leap an purchased a budget 3D printer over the holidays, time to get serious about precision modeling, something that is a bit tricky to pull off in Blender.

Anyway, hope you all had a great New Year and hope to not be too annoying with Newb questions.
CADinBoots

Post by CADinBoots »

Hi I'm also new. I taught solidworks and ANSYS as a teaching assistant at my university before I graduated, but I can't afford to actually use solidworks. I learned autocad and I also can't afford to use it.

But I CAN afford freecad. And I like the interface I just get a lot of glitches. So I figured I needed to join the discussion boards here. I posted a topic about a problem I was having modeling but my thread is awaiting moderator review I think. I only saw it for a split second before my browser tab closed so I hope it will post.