Bug #2774: [Sketcher] Can not select points in sketcher properly when changing viewangle

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Bug #2774: [Sketcher] Can not select points in sketcher properly when changing viewangle

Post by Kunda1 »

Can someone please test issue #2774
I can't seem to reproduce it. Thanks!
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Bug #2774 Can not select points in sketcher properly when changing viewangle

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote:Can someone please test issue #2774
I can't seem to reproduce it. Thanks!
I can reproduce it, but I think its the intended behavior. In the Top View the points are "over" the line so they can be selected. In the Bottom view the points are "under" the line so the line is selected. I don't have any problems with box selection it works as expected.
Switch to the front view and zoom way in on an endpoint to see.
"fight the good fight"
Joachimthome

Re: Bug #2774 Can not select points in sketcher properly when changing viewangle

Post by Joachimthome »

Happy that i t could be reproduced.

I really dont know about the intention of this. For me it was very unintuitive when i encountered that issue when i was creating a model where it made just from a practical point of view sense to edit the sketch from below.
I took me around an hour of frustrating testing to find out what the heck was going on before i found the reason of it happening because i first thought the program was broken somehow (because i was always retrying from bottom view).
And it does not make sense because from the top view i have all functions (handling points and lines) and from bottom view i suddenly loose the function to handle the points but can still handle lines. Box selection works but actually handling the point is impossible.

Cant imagine a case where this is useful.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

This is due to the way Sketcher was coded, and I would consider that the limitation of the chosen method of prioritizing selection. However, this is occasionally useful - one can select a line that is obscured by other line, by viewing the sketch upside down. But, it's not enough usefulness to justify sticking with what we have, I think it should be fixed some day.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

DeepSOIC wrote: think it should be fixed some day.
What would the fix be? For a line, sure, ignore the end of the line and always pick the endpoint.
How about over lapping lines? Not valid for padding etc but possible. Also a horizontal or vertical line constrained to the origin. I always resort to the element dialog.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Verdict?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote:Verdict?
I defer to DeepSOIC here. Bug or enhancement I don't know.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote:
Kunda1 wrote:Verdict?
I defer to DeepSOIC here. Bug or enhancement I don't know.
How do you ping DeepSOIC on the forum through a forum message?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote:How do you ping DeepSOIC on the forum through a forum message?
I don't think @DeepSOIC works, but I think he'll see it. Otherwise PM. I'd give it a day.
"fight the good fight"
cox

Post by cox »

I agree with @DeepSOIC. Would be a big user experience improvement. Should be fixed at some point.

One intermediate solution could be to use a hotkey to reverse or flip the "layers" just when you need it. Would be faster and less disorienting than turning the whole model, sometimes looking at the model from the opposite side, is no good when it is obstructed on that side.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first