FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus

FreeCAD

Postby triplus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi.

I started using FreeCAD few weeks back on Ubuntu OS (PPA) and i decided it was the time to join FreeCAD forum too. I was not aware that there is FOSS for parametric modeling that is so advance available and i was pleasantly surprised how powerful and easy it is to use FreeCAD.

If i understand correctly i started using FreeCAD just before module assembly will be implemented? This is the one (big) feature missing in FreeCAD now as i like to create separate parts and them assemble them and i am very excited this is being worked on!

As this is my first post i will conclude it with big THANK YOU!
NormandC

Re: FreeCAD

Postby NormandC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 am

Welcome here triplus! :)

I've been following the FreeCAD project for the past two years and it's come a long way. The team is small but very dedicated and hard working, and a few other people contribute from time to time to add useful functionality.

The source code was recently split for a v0.12 release to come soon, and development of v0.13 just started in the past week. If we're lucky, we may see an assembly module in v0.13, along with possibly a few more features in Part Design. Yorik will continue to work on his Arch module too, that'll be fun.

So hang around, I'm sure the coming months will be as interesting as the past year has been. :)