Revise the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" sticy topic?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Revise the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" sticy topic?

Post by bejant »

It seems that lately people are including images in .docx and .pdf files instead of uploading them directly to the forum. It might be worthwhile to change the sticky and inform people that they should instead upload their images directly by attaching them to their posts...

Maybe something also to encourage new members to include their .fcstd file (so we don't have to ask so often and can get to troubleshooting the file sooner)?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Revise the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" sticy topic?

Post by chrisb »

Good idea, although I am afraid, that people using docs or pdfs haven't read carefully the IMPORTANT contents. I would go for a short outline at the beginning, probably a list:
  • We need the FreeCAD info,
  • we need a precise description,
  • a *FCStd file could help,
  • the version must be current.
Each of these short requests has an internal link to the detailed paragraph.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Revise the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" sticy topic?

Post by NormandC »

Hi bejant and Chris,

I've been thinking of updating the "read first" topic for a while...

Since resigning from my administrator status last year, I am no longer able to edit the topic, even though I created it. jmaustpc had to lock it because newbies kept replying to it to ask irrelevant questions...
bejant wrote:It seems that lately people are including images in .docx and .pdf files instead of uploading them directly to the forum.
Yes, and I find this quite annoying... But I noticed that most users who do are on Windows; contrary to Mac and Linux, when you press the Print Screen key, the screenshot is not automatically saved to an image file but only copied to the clipboard. In my experience, most people only know to press PrintScreen, open MS Word then paste. They have no idea how to save it as an image file.

I made a search last night and found that in Windows 10, it's now possible to save a screenshot as a PNG file, I posted the link to the tutorial that shows how in two topics where OPs had attached PDFs.
chrisb wrote:I would go for a short outline at the beginning
I've been thinking about the same thing Chris, obviously some people don't read it all the way through and actually barely go through the first section about providing their FreeCAD info.

And while I'm mentioning the FreeCAD info, the first step switching to Part/PartDesign workbench isn't even necessary anymore.

How about we make proposals here and discuss, and when we've reached consensus we then ask a moderator to update the pinned topic?
chrisb wrote:Each of these short requests has an internal link to the detailed paragraph.
That would be great, but do you know a way of managing that? I haven't found one. The forum faq does it but it's not a regular forum topic, it's probably plain HTML.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi guys,
chrisb wrote:I would go for a short outline at the beginning, probably a list:
  • a *FCStd file usually could help,
  • don't zip your FreeCAD .FCStd file before uploading,
  • do upload any images directly to the forum as an image,
  • your FreeCAD version must be current.
(added my 2 cents to the quote above)
chrisb wrote:Each of these short requests has an internal link to the detailed paragraph.
I don't know if it is possible for a Mod or Admin to create a link to the more detailed descriptions already included further down in that first post...
NormandC wrote:I've been thinking of updating the "read first" topic for a while...
I just noticed a couple of other minor things there that might need updating:
Are you sure your FreeCAD version is current?
The current stable version is 0.16 revision 6700 (0.16.6700)
Isn't it 016.6707? IDK if that holds true for all OS's though.
Attaching files, images to your posts <snip> This will allow you to upload a file of 512KB max size.
I think that max size has since been increased.
NormandC wrote:Since resigning from my administrator status last year, I am no longer able to edit the topic, even though
Although if you wanted to edit it I'll bet your superpowers would be restored, even if only temporarily.
NormandC wrote:contrary to Mac and Linux, when you press the Print Screen key, the screenshot is not automatically saved to an image file but only copied to the clipboard. In my experience, most people only know to press PrintScreen, open MS Word then paste. They have no idea how to save it as an image file.
Do you think quick how-to in that first sticky might help? If nothing else we could point to it in the future, when someone includes an image in a .pdf or .docx.
NormandC wrote:the first step switching to Part/PartDesign workbench isn't even necessary anymore.
And so the part about switching WB's before doing the Help > About FreeCAD needs to be edited in the first sticky too.
NormandC wrote:How about we make proposals here and discuss, and when we've reached consensus we then ask a moderator to update the pinned topic?
OK with me (did we cover them all?)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bejant wrote:
chrisb wrote:
  • a *FCStd file usually could help,
  • don't zip your FreeCAD .FCStd file before uploading,
  • do upload any images directly to the forum as an image,
Thinking about it, shouldn't "your FreeCAD version must be current" be the first thing to mention?
bejant wrote:Isn't it 016.6707? IDK if that holds true for all OS's though.
Windows is still on 0.16.6706.
bejant wrote:Do you think quick how-to in that first sticky might help? If nothing else we could point to it in the future, when someone includes an image in a .pdf or .docx.
I'll have to hunt down that link again, it was giving a few alternatives, the simplest and not requiring additional software was a keyboard combination of PrintScreen + another key, but I'm not sure it works on older Windows versions than 10.
bejant wrote:Although if you wanted to edit it I'll bet your superpowers would be restored, even if only temporarily.
Much simpler would be to temporarily unlock the topic. Best not to restore my superpowers. :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have removed the former colors, because I totally agree.
NormandC wrote:
bejant wrote:
  • a *.FCStd file usually could help, don't zip your FreeCAD .FCStd file before uploading, it is already zipped.
  • do upload any images directly to the forum as an image, <A href="#WinScreenshot">Details</a>
I put the zipping hint in the same line as the file hint since it depends on it.

The BBCode documentation says:
Can I add my own tags?
If you are an administrator on this board and have the proper permissions, you can add further BBCodes through the Custom BBCodes section.
So I added here a fake reference.

If it is not possible to place internal links we could have as a crook "Replies" as direct followups for the detailed informations and refer to them (after creation).

<A name="#WinScreenshot"></a>
For the windows screenshots you can use the snipping tool. It is included in your windows distribution.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: <A name="#WinScreenshot"></a>
For the windows screenshots you can use the snipping tool. It is included in your windows distribution.
Since Win7 there is a snipping tool.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... creenshots
Last edited by sgrogan on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"fight the good fight"
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Don't select All or use Ctrl + A to Export for 3D printing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote:Don't select All or use Ctrl + A to Export for 3D printing.
I am not sure if we should have that one here - although it covers a lot of questions - or if we should have a link to the FAQ.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: The BBCode documentation says:
Can I add my own tags?
If you are an administrator on this board and have the proper permissions, you can add further BBCodes through the Custom BBCodes section.
So I added here a fake reference.

If it is not possible to place internal links we could have as a crook "Replies" as direct followups for the detailed informations and refer to them (after creation).
Of course! That would be the simplest way.

We're forgetting jmaustpc's 2 follow up replies.

I think it will be best to create an entirely new forum rules topic.
I am not sure if we should have that one here - although it covers a lot of questions - or if we should have a link to the FAQ.
The wiki FAQ is a mess to be brutally honest. Either we split it up or we create a forum FAQ...

Which reminds me of another rule to add:

- Search the forum.