Photo-realistic rendering of FreeCAD models with CADRays

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zerginator

Re: Photo-realistic rendering of FreeCAD models with CADRays

Post by Zerginator »

Are there any news on the Linux version of CadRays?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I'm always looking if there isn't a linux version coming too, but so far no signal...
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Don't hold your breath, this is directly from the source:
We do not have any plans to make our CADRays application open source, or to release it on any additional platforms. The purpose of this application is to demonstrate our advanced visualization technology and so to attract any potential business opportunities.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Too bad. But at least there is a plethora of raytracing solutions out there. FOSS and cross platform.
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

That really is a shame. I enjoy using CadRays, at it is by way the simplest and fastest solution for quick good looking renders.
Just import the STEP File with having the parts structure still intact, assign some materials to these parts - done.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Zerginator wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm That really is a shame. I enjoy using CadRays, at it is by way the simplest and fastest solution for quick good looking renders.
Just import the STEP File with having the parts structure still intact, assign some materials to these parts - done.
Given the CADRays view of their renderer, I honestly wouldn't use it. Not because it's proprietary software, but taking @PrzemoF's citiation at face value, the vendor has a proprietary purpose for it and aren't interested in accommodating community feed back, regardless of what it may be.

Still, maybe it's worth trying under Wine? With Steam's beta release of Proton, a lot of huge improvements have been upstreamed, and CodeWeavers has even beefed up their staff to handle the Proton improvements coming their way. The addition of the Vulkan / DirectX compatibility layer has easily superseded Wine's own Direct3D implementation, which, I'm hoping, means that newer software may start running
better under Wine than older software...

No doubt it'd be a challenge getting something as complex as a 3D renderer to run under Wine, and again, given the vendor's view of the purpose of CADRays, I'd argue it's not worth anyone's time to really use it. Still, it's worth a look to at least identify the show-stopping issues and report them - especially if that issue is common to running other Windows applications under Wine...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
BeardPower

Post by BeardPower »

Hi,

As the CADRays is similar to Cycles and Cycles can be compiled as a standalone renderer, it could be integrated directly into FreeCAD.
Another possibility is to integrate https://github.com/google/filament into FreeCAD. It would open the opportunity to have an additional view mode in FreeCAD similar to EEVEE in Blender.
Are there any projects/proposals to implement either of the two?

Thanks!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Re:Eevee
I think there is a ticket in the tracker and also in the FreeCAD-render workbench on GitHub.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
BeardPower

Post by BeardPower »

Thanks!

The issue with EEVEE is that it's not a stand-alone renderer like Cycles. It currently is deeply integrated into Blender so extracting it and using it in FreeCAD is hard to do.

AMD and NVIDIA provide many Open Source libraries from Scene Graphs, to Renderers to FEM so maybe these technologies could even be used as an alternative to Coin3D.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

BeardPower wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:06 am so maybe these technologies could even be used as an alternative to Coin3D.
This is no small ask, my friend. If you search the forums you will see discussions about what to do about Coin3D, especially when upstream went almost dormant and then picked back up recently (finally accepting our Pull Requests).

Edit:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs