Photo-realistic rendering of FreeCAD models with CADRays

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Photo-realistic rendering of FreeCAD models with CADRays

Post by PrzemoF »

OK, thanks! I couldn't figure out why it doesn't see OCE on my laptop.. (I have 0 windows knowledge compilation)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

This indeed is an interesting development. I tried compiling on Linux and after sorting out a few complaints more and more of them emerged. Basically related to CMake not finding things. Therefore i am guessing things will hopefully improve on Linux in the future. If and when they do i guess we can evaluate if default Raytracing workbench should support CADRays in some way. If it makes sense to pack CADRays in binaries for all supported platforms. This would bring us closer to the goal of having a good rendering capabilities in FreeCAD by default. And for them to be available to non tech-savvy people. Currently this task is still reserved for POV-Ray and tech-savvy people using solutions such as Blender. Render workbench, being external, likely isn't as used and explored as it could be if it would be available by default.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

I have it compiled and running on debian. I find the GUI a little confusing. :D
cadrays01.png
cadrays01.png (250.03 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Likely GPU drivers related?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

tanderson69 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 pm I have it compiled and running on debian. I find the GUI a little confusing. :D
Hi Thomas, how did you do it? If you can tell me how, I'll have a go on Kubuntu 18.04 64bit later tonight....yeah its evening here now. Do you have to compile occ as well?
Jim
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:51 am Hi Thomas, how did you do it? If you can tell me how, I'll have a go on Kubuntu 18.04 64bit later tonight....yeah its evening here now. Do you have to compile occ as well?
Jim
I did it by swearing and hacking away on the cmake files. Yes I did compile and install occ as well. Here is a link to a repo with my changes. Use the 'tabuild' branch.
https://gitlab.com/blobfish/cadrays
jjooo

Post by jjooo »

Hi all,
one question:
Did anyone find out how to save the picture without this ugly brownish background? Just a transparent PNG?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Does somebody know how to increase the resolution of shapes in CADRays? My renders have sharp edges. The geometry was created in FreeCAD. I am able to smoothen those lines in FreeCAD by chaning the "Deviation" parameter in the view-tab but I do not know how to do this in CADRays.
Attachments
Render sample with hard edges.
Render sample with hard edges.
cadrays-test-60min.png (292.33 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Last edited by Aleks on Tue May 12, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

It is possible that the transfer from FC to CADRays performs a meshing of its own with its own set of parameters, this is similar to code used in 3D surface milling in the Path WB. In that case the shape parameters used for FC are "useless".

One way to test that is to export your FC model as .stl with different levels of accuracy and check if CADRays reflects (hahaha) that.
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

RatonLaveur wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:57 pm It is possible that the transfer from FC to CADRays performs a meshing of its own with its own set of parameters, this is similar to code used in 3D surface milling in the Path WB. In that case the shape parameters used for FC are "useless".

One way to test that is to export your FC model as .stl with different levels of accuracy and check if CADRays reflects (hahaha) that.
Using stl does not work here. Even when setting the deviation to 0,01 mm you can clearly see triangles.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen