Photo-realistic rendering of FreeCAD models with CADRays

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Photo-realistic rendering of FreeCAD models with CADRays

Post by kkremitzki »

Use of the : means you're trying to clone using SSH, which will always fail if that server is not set up with your public key. I don't think you have to sign the CLA in order to create an account and associate a key with it. Not that it matters now since the command to clone with HTTPS was posted earlier.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
OPEN CASCADE

Post by OPEN CASCADE »

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your interest in CADRays source code!
And our apologies for the issue with Git, it has been fixed now.
The following URL syntax should be used for anonymous access to CADRays Git repository - pay attention that you specify "git" protocol explicitly rather than "ssh" etc.:

Code: Select all

git clone git://git.dev.opencascade.org/cadrays.git cadrays
This syntax is absolutely valid - refer to https://git-scm.com/docs/git-pull#URLS, it explains the meaning of the URL part that follows a colon:
git://host.xz[:port]/path/to/repo.git/
i.e. it is a local path to a Git repository on a server, you can use a relative path with "ssh" protocol, while "git" protocol seems to require an absolute path starting with a leading slash and relative paths do not work for some reason.

You DO NOT NEED to sign the CADRays CLA or submit an SSH public key in order to get read-only anonymous access to the source code.
You DO NEED to sign the CADRays CLA and submit an SSH public key as soon as you want to push your contributions to the repository.

We will document this in README.md in CADRays repository shortly.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Thanks for the fix, @OPEN CASCADE people!
Okay I was able to clone too!

At first sight all the dependencies are available on linux, so in theory it should be possible to compile there too.

The CMake step fails with debian-provided OCCT (it expects all OCCT, libs and includes, to be in one single folder apparently). I'll see if I can adapt...
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

yorik wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:28 pm(it expects all OCCT, libs and includes, to be in one single folder apparently).
That is probably how occ is distributed on windows.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

On a small experiment I did with the occ viewer and raytracing i could not get it working on linux. Most likely it was my limited graphics card that did not support the needed API for raytracing, but maybe it is a general linux issue? You should check that, there is a check in the occ API for the support of raytracing. Can't remember exactly how it was called...
gkv311

Post by gkv311 »

ickby wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:40 am On a small experiment I did with the occ viewer and raytracing i could not get it working on linux. Most likely it was my limited graphics card that did not support the needed API for raytracing, but maybe it is a general linux issue?
Ray-Tracing functionality in OCCT requires certain level of OpenGL features supported by driver.
Apart from this, there should be no restrictions specific to Linux as long as OpenGL driver is good enough,
here is screenshot with Mesa / llvmpipe in Ubuntu in VirtualBox:
occt_linux_raytracing.png
occt_linux_raytracing.png (141.94 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

gkv311 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:14 pm
ickby wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:40 am On a small experiment I did with the occ viewer and raytracing i could not get it working on linux. Most likely it was my limited graphics card that did not support the needed API for raytracing, but maybe it is a general linux issue?
Ray-Tracing functionality in OCCT requires certain level of OpenGL features supported by driver.
Apart from this, there should be no restrictions specific to Linux as long as OpenGL driver is good enough,
here is screenshot with Mesa / llvmpipe in Ubuntu in VirtualBox:occt_linux_raytracing.png
Sounds good. :) Which version of Ubuntu? Can you give us any tips, dependencies or cmake config etc. ?
gkv311

Post by gkv311 »

jmaustpc wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:21 pm Sounds good. :) Which version of Ubuntu? Can you give us any tips, dependencies or cmake config etc. ?
Ubuntu 18.04. It's just OCCT 3D Viewer, it does not have CMake flags enabling/disabling Ray-Tracing renderer.
schupin

Post by schupin »

Clearly it could be very nice to have it "integrated" to FreeCAD.

I just tried it for the first time and it's very friendly and quick to use.
Desk designed on FreeCAD and rendered with cadrays:
bureau6.png
bureau6.png (952.41 KiB) Viewed 2102 times

(honestly I spend a lot more time learning cadrays and finding textures than designing the desk...)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

schupin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:32 pm Clearly it could be very nice to have it "integrated" to FreeCAD.

I just tried it for the first time and it's very friendly and quick to use.
Desk designed on FreeCAD and rendered with cadrays:
Veeery nice. Would be great to have it in FC :D