Feature idea: blended fusion

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Re: Feature idea: blended fusion

Post by jnxd »

DeepSOIC wrote:
jnxd wrote:(attention grabber quote)
Hi!
Are you interested in implementing this feature?
I remember in PM you asked for pointers on how to implement it.
Here's one:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Macro_Section
Indeed let's start the project with this. As I said on gitter I would be busy with the thesis submission for a week, but we I should have read through the link by then. Meanwhile, how about we decide on the interaction schedule?
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

jnxd wrote:interaction schedule?
Interaction.. schedule... em.. sounds scary! I don't know! Let's see if mentor's manual says something about it.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Looks like the manual doesn't say anything terribly specific, so let's say if we haven't communicated for at least half a week, it's time to force ourselves into doing so.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

How about establishing a small collab between you and Kurt? Like you focus on figuring out the fillet and doing it in Part domain, and kkremitzki on bringing that to PartDesign, pattern support...?
kkremitzki wrote:(attention grabber quote)
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

DeepSOIC wrote:nteraction.. schedule... em.. sounds scary! I don't know! Let's see if mentor's manual says something about it.
Maybe not an interaction schedule as much as an idea of when we are available. Like when you would be busy with your day job etc?
DeepSOIC wrote:Looks like the manual doesn't say anything terribly specific, so let's say if we haven't communicated for at least half a week, it's time to force ourselves into doing so.
Yeah that seems about right, except maybe make that one whole week?
DeepSOIC wrote:How about establishing a small collab between you and Kurt? Like you focus on figuring out the fillet and doing it in Part domain, and kkremitzki on bringing that to PartDesign, pattern support...?
We could do that, but I am not really sure if there would be as much work to do. This tool should be an exercise for me to identify the newly made topo-features after a boolean operation, but I dunno how much it'd be useful for Kurt. I am actually suspecting it wouldn't be too much difficult if we see it as an automation of the fillet feature, but without actually reading through the code I'm just getting ahead of myself.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

jnxd wrote:We could do that, but I am not really sure if there would be as much work to do.
I don't know, it depends on how quick you are, and how much are you interested in doing it. I have little clue on both.

If I were doing it for Part Union, it will probably take a few hours to get a first shape, and maybe over a week or more worth of evenings to package it up, update python bindings, handle face coloring, etc... For PartDesign I have hard time making any prediction, as there are pattern features, and also somewhat a lot of gui work.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

jnxd wrote:Maybe not an interaction schedule as much as an idea of when we are available. Like when you would be busy with your day job etc?
I am generally available 12pm to 3am, mostly after 9pm. I live in Moscow Time, GMT+3. At the moment I am on a vacation, till may 14, free to spend time on FreeCAD and you almost any time I am not sleeping, and as long as internet is up (it may goes down relatively often, especially when it rains)
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

DeepSOIC wrote:For PartDesign I have hard time making any prediction, as there are pattern features, and also somewhat a lot of gui work.
If that is the case then maybe it comes to the other side, with Kurt getting too much in his hands, which are full already!
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

DeepSOIC wrote:(it may goes down relatively often, especially when it rains)
Not a problem at my end now, but Mumbai rains cats and dogs in June and July.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

DeepSOIC wrote: @everyone: Is it useful?
I'm a little late to the party, but sure it's useful! Nothing quite having a bunch of edges selected for a Fillet operation, and before selecting that last edge I inadvertently move the cursor just enough to select the background by mistake and have to start over selecting those edges again. I think I could use this new tool to avoid a lot that.

It will be interesting to see how you handle the situation where two faces converge... I was looking for an example I saw on the Reddit CAD Challenge some time ago, but can't find it now.