Civil engineering feature implementation (Transportation Engineering)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Re: Civil engineering feature implementation (Transportation Engineering)

Post by HakanSeven12 »

bernd wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 am Either manually download nor AddOn manager will fetch the submodules.
Did you try extension manager? @mnesarco said it has submodule fetching support.
mnesarco wrote:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:13 am Did you try extension manager?
What is extension manager?
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:41 pm Hi Joel. The xml importer throwing some errors when I try to import any alignment. I can't send the report because I don't have a computer for now. Can you take a look when you have time?
I definitely will. I have been trying to make incremental changes to clean up code and I haven't been going back and testing with other known good data sets. Sorry about that.

I'll take a look this week and see if I can sort it out.

Thanks for doing such great work on the geomatics side! It's been getting a lot of attention!
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

You are welcome
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Joel_graff wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:30 pm I'll take a look this week and see if I can sort it out.
Hi Joel. Is there any update?
smrruby

Post by smrruby »

Hakan,
I had a project working okay with the previous surface creation option but with the new one I appear to have two issues.

1: when I import a .csv file with x,y,elevation as points, create a surface, link the surface to the points. Everything appears fine I now have a point cloud and a surface. But if I save that file with no other changes I cannot re-open it. I'm running the trails WB from git today and Freecad 0.19 23463. I've tried the same on windows and linux (same FreeCAD version) with the same result. The wait cursor just never goes away on opening the file. I was unable to open the surface file from my previous versions because i had imported the points, created the surface, then deleted the points - but it seems that workflow is no longer viable and files created that way will be broken right? All okay, just confirming.

2: the "New Surface Creation method" makes it so that I cannot link a surface to another file. Is this intentional or am I using surfaces wrong? Previously I could create a surface in a file intended to contain only topographical elements and then link that surface into a different file which merged in other objects (buildings, fences, etc.).

Now I cannot link a surface from a file into another file without it complaining about no linked points - even if I link both the surface and the points from one file to another.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Can you send your csv and fcstd file?
smrruby

Post by smrruby »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:22 am Can you send your csv and fcstd file?
I just posted it with some more info in git hub. The file did eventually load it just takes 25 minutes or so and I wasn't waiting long enough.

Also, I'm not a very experienced FreeCAD user but is the Surface object somewhat specific to Trails WB? It seems to be missing the Selectable property that other objects have, can that be added so that a surface can be made visible but locked from selection or edits?
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Yes it's trail specific object but you can convert it to other object types. This workbench is very experimental. So Its possible that there is some broken features. I will take a look at your files.