Civil engineering feature implementation (Transportation Engineering)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: Civil engineering feature implementation (Transportation Engineering)

Post by Joel_graff »

Ok, if I just call model.get_orthogonal() at that point and at a nearby point on either side, I get:

Code: Select all

>>> a.model.get_orthogonal(313.236, 'Left')
(Vector (220741.8165425833, 203841.9327744078, 0.0), Vector (-0.3345360080759547, 0.942382968490308, 0.0))
>>> a.model.get_orthogonal(313.0, 'Left')
(Vector (220519.41419111053, 203762.9821945533, 0.0), Vector (-0.33453704969152925, 0.9423825987271238, 0.0))
>>> a.model.get_orthogonal(314.0, 'Left')
(Vector (221461.69906867176, 204097.49299472544, 0.0), Vector (-0.3345681776763077, 0.942371548003416, 0.0))
>>> 
The three orthogonals are identical to the nearest ten-thousandth. So, I don't see a problem with the model calculations.

I may be wrong (and I rather hope I am), but without a reproducible case, I think it's either a bug in your code or it's an issue with FreeCAD...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Joel_graff wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:35 pm I think it's either a bug in your code or it's an issue with FreeCAD...
Maybe. I will take a look at my code after.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Joel_graff wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:16 pm That means in each alignments subgroup, you'd have the horizontal alignment object (which provides the model you use to build your section lines and other things), a vertical profile object (which I haven't really created yet), a composite (3D) alignment, and other objects related to the 3D model (like those you're creating).
Are you planning on doing this soon? :)
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm Are you planning on doing this soon?
Not really, I'm afraid. I have a long way to go just to build the horizontal alignment design tools.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Okey :)
Sara_GO

Post by Sara_GO »

Hi Joel_graff,
Just a quick personal intro.. I'm a PhD candidate with a Civil Engineering background very interested in Road design. Recently I started to explore FreeCAD, which lead me to your Forum Discussion :)

I am starting to read your posts and the workflow you are following, but if you could just do a sum up of what you achieved so far and what your currently working on, that could give me a jump start, as I am interested also in contributing for this project.

So far, I have installed the Trails and Transportation workbenches (are they similar, complementar?).. hehe sorry a bit lost here. So, in need of your expertise.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Sara_GO wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 pm So far, I have installed the Trails and Transportation workbenches (are they similar, complementar?).. hehe sorry a bit lost here. So, in need of your expertise.
Great! Welcome to the community!

At this point there are several small tangents that this project has. First is @hakanseven's 'Geomatics' workbench. He has a thread devoted to that which you may wish to peruse if surveys / topology is an interest for you.

Another element is a swept path analyzer based on Ackermann steering which @microelly2 put together some time ago. I've been meaning to build a UI for that, as that's the most critical element at this point to making that functional.

The core portion I'm working on is horizontal design tools in Trails. Right now, I'm developing (albeit slowly) a user interface for editing horizontal alignments.

At this point it is capable of importing / exporting LandXML and has support for clothoid spirals, assuming one radius is infinite. Two non-infinite radii is a bit tricky to work through as it requires numerically integrating Fresnel integrals (though I'm working on that ;)). Right now, though, I'm focused on developing a UI tool for manipulating horizontal alignments by dragging PI's, curve centers, etc. Following that, I plan to implement a vertical design tool and finally 3D alignment composition for 3D highway design. I've actually done a small amount of 3D highawy design development (much like you can do in Microstation or Civil3D), but I really need to get the 2D toolchain in place first, so I've left that aside for the time being.

All of our work is Python-based, of course. Trails is the active project - I forked Transportation and rebranded it just because sometimes we all need a fresh start. ;) Anyway, you want to pull from the freecad.trails 'dev' branch for the latest code. I only update master when the dev feature I'm working on seems stable and complete.

Anyway, what you focus on is really about your expertise and personal interests. I also have several other ideas for other transportation-related projects and tools if you feel striking out on your own better suits you.

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Sara_GO wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 pm Just a quick personal intro.. I'm a PhD candidate with a Civil Engineering background very interested in Road design. Recently I started to explore FreeCAD, which lead me to your Forum Discussion
Welcome to the FreeCAD Forum, @Sara_GO :)
Take a moment to familiarize yourself with our Forum Guidelines and Code of Conduct.

Thanks!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:50 pm Do you think we need to merge workbenches?
I was just thinking about this a bit more the last couple of days. I have no issues if you want to merge your wb into Trails. However, you'll have to do that work yourself, I'm afraid. I can help you with questions, of course, but I recommend you fork Trails and try merging your code into it. Maybe keep it in a separate 'geomatics' folder for the time being so it's easy to manage.

Anyway, that's up to you, really, and if you think it'll help make your work easier, give it a shot. Once it's integrated well, I can merge it. Otherwise, don't worry about it. :)

HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Hi Joel. I download your WB again and "E2 Kolu" is broken.

E2 Kolu.png
E2 Kolu.png (99.88 KiB) Viewed 851 times