Mouse Model. CAD Navigation

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dangerenok

Mouse Model. CAD Navigation

Post by dangerenok »

Good afternoon!

I beg you not to kick it, I could not find the answer myself.
In the note it is written:
"Click first with the middle mouse button, hold it down, and then click the left mouse button and drag the mouse in the desired direction. The cursor location at the middle mouse button click determines the center of rotation."

As I understand it:
If I want to rotate an item around a certain point, then I hover the mouse cursor, press the middle button and hold it - I press the left button. Rotate as I need.

What's happening:
Rotations around the selected point do not occur. Instead, the details revolve around the conditional center (sort of like).

Which way out:
First, I select the point of rotation on the part with the middle mouse button. The part moves. Then from any place I pinch the middle and left buttons - I rotate the part.

Help me make it so that the center of rotation is selected immediately after pressing the middle and left buttons, without shifting the screen. (Similar to SketchUp, onshape).

Thank you in advance!

I'm sorry, but I do not understand English well.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11084 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: fa00b4f06a0c96de57a777d6532467dfd8e5d141
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.1.0
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Mouse Model. CAD Navigation

Post by chrisb »

You can configure different user interfaces for the mouse: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... ouse_Model.

If you use the Show All button prior to your rotation the object should rotate around the center of the screen.

You seem to have started with the unstable development version of FreeCAD. Most documentation found in the net is still for the very stable, very reliable version 0.16, which still is used most.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dangerenok

Post by dangerenok »

chrisb wrote:You can configure different user interfaces for the mouse: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... ouse_Model.
As I wrote above, I already used the article you gave me the link to
chrisb wrote:You seem to have started with the unstable development version of FreeCAD.
In a stable version, absolutely the same behavior. Also in 0.15, 0.14 ...
In addition, at some angles of rotation part of the part is cut off and it becomes clear that it is inside. (I did not specify any cutting planes)
I'm just wondering how to make a rotation not around the center of the screen but around the location of the cursor (see SketchUp, onshape)

I attach screenshots for the stable version:
Version: 0.16.Unknown
Python version: 2.7.13
OCC version: 6.9.1
Attachments
Screenshot_20170521_195523.png
Screenshot_20170521_195523.png (111.64 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Screenshot_20170521_195516.png
Screenshot_20170521_195516.png (111.62 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Screenshot_20170521_195439.png
Screenshot_20170521_195439.png (113.05 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am sorry I misunderstood your post: You wanted to rotate off center at a specified point. And I am sorry again, I cannot help, I only can confirm the behaviour on my systems.

Version: 0.17.11104 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 1b2b964c35bd0f989f1f833a372c48e08cec0194
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0

Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dangerenok

Post by dangerenok »

chrisb wrote:I am sorry I misunderstood your post: You wanted to rotate off center at a specified point. And I am sorry again, I cannot help, I only can confirm the behaviour on my systems.
That's why I warned that I have a bad English.

Well, that's okay. So you consider useful my idea with navigation in the style of "SketchUp, onscape"?

And in general, I think that Freecade is a very necessary and useful project, but not very friendly to beginners ((
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dangerenok wrote: That's why I warned that I have a bad English.
I'm afraid it wasn't your english, it was my sloppyness.
Well, that's okay. So you consider useful my idea with navigation in the style of "SketchUp, onscape"?
I'm not familiar with SketchUp, by I think it is useful to have the possibility to rotate a object off center - as it is described in the docs.
And in general, I think that Freecade is a very necessary and useful project, but not very friendly to beginners ((
I think it is not FreeCAD, that causes the problem. It is the parametric thinking in 3D which is far more difficult than anything in 2D. FreeCAD lacks some documentation, that is correct; but instead we have a very active forum where individual help is provided.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

dangerenok wrote:In the note it is written:
"Click first with the middle mouse button, hold it down, and then click the left mouse button and drag the mouse in the desired direction. The cursor location at the middle mouse button click determines the center of rotation."
That note is wrong; the cursor location at middle mouse button click determines the center of rotation when using Tools > View Turntable (or the View Turntable equivalent by releasing the mouse buttons while the cursor is moving). That is, if you haven't disabled it by changing the Edit > Preferences > Display (icon in left pane) > 3D View (tab at top of right pane) > Enable Animation tickbox from the default ticked (on) to unticked (off).