Curves workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Re: Curves workbench

Post by Vincent B »

Small bug: interpolated curve doesn't follow all points of parent curve.
in my example, if you change in discretized curve number 100 to 200, lenght of interpolated curve decrease.
Attachments
intercurve.FCStd
(23.32 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Thanks for the report.
It should be fixed now.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Chris_G wrote: ...
Would it be possible to make the "picked point" of the TrimedFace fully parametric?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 28#p326328
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

I have changed the picked point property.
It was a 3D point. It is now a 2D point in parametric space of the face : (U, V, 0)
I think this should make it more stable when input shapes move.
BTW, a double-clic on the TrimFace object, in TreeView, rotates the camera to the projection view.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Chris_G wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:15 am I have changed the picked point property.
It was a 3D point. It is now a 2D point in parametric space of the face : (U, V, 0)
I think this should make it more stable when input shapes move.
BTW, a double-clic on the TrimFace object, in TreeView, rotates the camera to the projection view.
First quick tests are looking good! Another stone in the castle... Thanks! :)
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Chris_G wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:15 am I have changed the picked point property...
I have tested it a bit more and it seems to work well, but I have found one case where it fails or at least I would say that it works a bit unexpected. See the attached file, you will see the trimmed face has an unexpected cut, if you double click on the TrimmedFace006 in the tree, so that it changes the camera to the trim projection view, we can quickly understand from there the cut comes...

It is because we are cutting with a 3d curve that will in some camera views start to overlap with the trimmed face. This can happen both in the situation when the user creates the trim and has such camera position or also after, if the model is moved and rotated... Maybe someone would call this even not a bug but a feature :) personally however I cannot really think of a situation where such result would be desired.

One possible solution could maybe be for the trim tool, when using a 3d curve, to only work with those subedges that actually touch the selected face, not the full curve... ?

https://mega.nz/#!fZonTKoJ!e9SVvrynNe2e ... 9niWJCY1pU
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

direction of the trim006 should be z=1 isn't it? and picked point seems wrong.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

I have in this case indeed set the view like this on purpose, to more easily demonstrate the issue, but even if you do the initial trim from a more "normal" perspective and if you later start to turn the model, for example in this model you can select the Local_CS001 in the Origin group and start to change its Placement properties (Angle and Positions), you will in some cases (when you turn it in to such a position) get to the same issue. And even if the users is initially picking the trim from such a "strange" angle this should IMO not happen.
DevHeavy

Post by DevHeavy »

Hey Chris_G, I really like the work you've done on this workbench. It has helped me a lot. Now, I'm not exactly sure if this is your area of expertise, but a function that I'm not sure is done/possible in your workbench is one to deform surfaces/sets of curves to fit too an outline. As an example, strictly because I can't find any others, is the Deform tool offered by SolidWorks: https://help.solidworks.com/2017/englis ... 17b5c9#Pg0

I'm most interested in functionality like the Curve to Curve or Surface Push tools that are linked on that page. Mostly Curve to Curve though. The idea is, is that if you have an outline/profile sitting in a flat plane (x, y, z or arbitrary), and then you place a surface (later to be made solid perhaps) on and in that outline's plane. Next, you select the curve(s) you want to push (on the surface) and the curves you want to match/push too (being the profile that is sitting in a plane mentioned first). Once the curves are selected and the operation is done, using the selected curves the surface will be modified in such a way that inflates/pulls/pushes it to the target/last selected curves.

To make this more clear, imagine you have a circle sitting in a plane (our profile that will be our target curve(s)) and then a half-dome inside of that. The half-dome would be sitting so that the bottom profile of it (where a sphere/dome would be cut through the middle) is sitting in the same plane as the aforementioned target curve circle. Select the half-dome surface's bottom circle and then the bigger (maybe it could also be smaller) target circle's curve(s). Do the operation and again it modifies the surface to make its selected curves match the target curves.

I know this is very arbitrary and vague (how does the surface get modified? Just by the innate functionality of B-splines?). Maybe a circle is not the best example. I also don't expect you have used SolidWorks or its deform tool, that's just a reference.

I'm also not looking/demanding your time, I'm just curious if a tool like this would be able to be made using your tools, FreeCAD or something else. I ask you (and the community since this is a public forum) because you guys have the experience and knowledge to brainstorm about this.

Let me know if you need anything else explained (if you want or have the time). I can draw up pictures of the setup if you want, maybe not the result though.

Maybe this is something another tool like Silk (FreeCAD addon) can do but so far I don't see how.
Last edited by DevHeavy on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

When Gorgon surface works better a Sweep.
While a Sweep or a PipeShell gives BopAlgo GeomAbs_C0 error, Gordon doesn't carrying out that and allow to do an 3D Offset. ;)
And surfaces are pretty identical.
Attachments
BopAlgo.FCStd
(651.1 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.56 KiB) Viewed 1876 times