Flamingo & Dodo workbench(s) discussion thread

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
REl

Dodo

Post by REl »

If you don't know anything, you don't have to do anything.
balrobs

Dodo workbench

Post by balrobs »

Hi to everyone!

The last days I discovered the Dodo-Workbench and played a bit with it. Great tool!
Here are some thoughts and improvement suggestions:
- Sadly beam rotations applied with the command "Rotate the section of the beam by 45°" are lost when the underlying sketch is changed. This doesn't happens when they are applied with the rotate tool of the "FrameBranch Manager"
- The changes to beam lenght applied with the command "adjust the angle of frame by two edges" also changes when the underlying sketch changes. It would be of great help if beam alignment would be persistent, at least if the beam-profiles have not changed.
Before sketch modification:
After sketch modifikation:

Thanks for the wonderful tool!
balrobs

Flamingo & Dodo workbench(s)

Post by balrobs »

Sorry if my images in my previous post don't work. I'm new in the forum and I'm learning by doing.
Before sketch modification:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15OuF0 ... ZCQX3Qd-Bf
After sketch modification:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n4vu9 ... ypxwZcJ0QW
oddtopus

Re: Flamingo & Dodo workbench(s) discussion thread

Post by oddtopus »

Hi @balrobs, I was hovering around after long time in the forum and since your on-line I'd like to answer about the beams rotation issue.
Bear in mind that when you make a structure based on a sketch or DWire, the beams are linked rigidly to the underneath geometry of the line. Thus if you rotate that beam afterward, it will be lost at next re-calculation of the document. So the rotation of beams "by 45°" is only intended for free beams, not linked in a "FrameLine" object.
To rotate permanently beams of a FrameLine instead you have to select them in the viewport and use the round dial next to the redraw button of the Frameline dialog or, better, insert the spin angle (let's say 90) in the text input field next to it (where there is the placeholder <degrees>) and confirm with Enter.

Same for the length (you must use "offsets" in the same dialog) and extend/trim actions.

In the former "Flamingo" workbench that I developed for FC <0.17 there is a folder with some tutorials in pdf: browse the github repo to find them.
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

Hi @oddtopus,
Thank you for your answer.
I will study the Flamingo Tutorials.
Kind regards
SmittyBits

Re: Flamingo (Workbench) discussion thread

Post by SmittyBits »

renatorivo wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:21 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 3:44 pm Opening a thread to discuss the Flamingo Workbench announced in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21532
Please some administrators can move in this thread anything that is not "Feature Announcements". I can not do it. Thank you
Renato
Just bumping this comment, and asking if it is possible to edit the profiles using LibreOffice E.g. Particularly the pipe definitions. Manufacturers in our part of the world have somewhat different standards and it would be great to create Australian standard parts/profiles and contribute to the dodo workbench in that manner.
oddtopus

Re: Flamingo (Workbench) discussion thread

Post by oddtopus »

SmittyBits wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:13 am .. asking if it is possible to edit the profiles using LibreOffice E.g. Particularly the pipe definitions. Manufacturers in our part of the world have somewhat different standards and it would be great to create Australian standard parts/profiles and contribute to the dodo workbench in that manner.
Hi, I'm proud to say that this possibility has been envisaged from beginning. You can read how to do in this old tutorial.

All dimensions of pipes, flanges, elbows etc. are saved in the /Mod/flamingo/tables directory (or /Mod/dodo/tablez) in csv files. You can modify them and also create your own files, following few rules: after that you will find automatcally the new dimensions table in the "Insert a.." dialog in FreeCAD.
  • The files must be comma-separated-values type, with semicolon as delimiter.
  • The names of the file must start with the kind of piping object ("Pipe" "Elbow" "Flange"...) followed by an underscore and the name of it's pressure-rating class, that will be shown in the right list of the dialog above.
  • The file must contain the table of dimensions of tubes, being the first row of the table the names of properties as defined in the relevant class in pipeFeatures.py (read the automatic documentation of classes with the menu path Help -> Automatic Python documentation for the name of the fields and their meaning).
It's even simpler to just copy one of the existing files in the same folder, rename it and change values.

unquote
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

mrnobody wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:32 am Hi there! I'm very new in Freecad.
I would like to ask about Dodo WB.
I have a problem with joining of edges of the beams.
When I made the beams over the sketch lines, the leading lines are in the center of the beems.
When I join the edges, the guidelines is not in the in the center already. Then I save the document and close it, but when I open it again, the beams are reset.
Is it a bug or it have to be done something after the joining of the edges?
Ciao @mrnobody,
if you are using a "frameLine" object, each time the document is recomputed the beams are repositioned over the lines of the sketch. If you move them with other tools that are intended for single objects, that will not make a permanent effect: you shall use only the trim/extend button or the rotate dial inside the dialog.
But if you want to position differently the section over one line, instead in its center, you can create your own profile. See following video.
phpBB [video]
hermanvh

Post by hermanvh »

I am trying to use the Dodo workbench with FreeCAD 0.19 (rev 23546).

After creating a simple sketch in Part Design workbench, I switch to the Dodo workbench and get the message below.

Any clue what to do?

Code: Select all

17:19:44  module 'FreeCAD' has no attribute 'DraftWorkingPlane'
17:19:44  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 172, in Activated
  File "C:\Program Files\Freecad 0.19\Mod\Draft\draftguitools\gui_snapper.py", line 1632, in show
    self.setTrackers()
  File "C:\Program Files\Freecad 0.19\Mod\Draft\draftguitools\gui_snapper.py", line 1690, in setTrackers
    self.dim1 = trackers.archDimTracker(mode=2)
  File "C:\Program Files\Freecad 0.19\Mod\Draft\draftguitools\gui_trackers.py", line 1333, in __init__
    self.plane = FreeCAD.DraftWorkingPlane
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

hermanvh wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:24 pm After creating a simple sketch in Part Design workbench, I switch to the Dodo workbench and get the message below.
Hi. Thanks for the information.

First you can see here for the explanation.
Does that create some actual problem in the functions of the workbench Dodo or is it just an alert you get when you switch?
Are you working with Windows, Linux or MAC OS?