Dev logs of Rebar Addon for FreeCAD - GSoC project

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: Dev logs of Rebar Addon for FreeCAD - GSoC project

Post by bernd »

saso wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:35 pm
2. there are quite a lot of different standards for rebars and with them different standard rebar shapes, just for example i have compared our current rebar shapes to BS8666-2005, as i can see we should more or less have shape codes 00, 11, 12, 21, 46, 51 and 77... ? no real suggestion here just something to keep in the mind :)

http://www.brc-reinforcement.co.uk/pdfs ... echart.pdf
In addition to the standard rebar shaps defined in standards an engineer could make his own shape like he would like to have it made. At least in Switzerland we can and we do use this :D

bernd
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

bernd wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 pm In addition to the standard rebar shaps defined in standards an engineer could make his own shape like he would like to have it made. At least in Switzerland we can and we do use this :D
Of course! But from standard shapes, it should not be that hard to produce proper bending schedules ;)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Introducing standards there would be a really nice thing but it's a huge thing... They are all different, one needs to know one particular standard very well, keep it updated, etc.

One more to add to your list is the brazilan norm NBR 6118

I would see standards more like one more level above Amritpal's tools, like a kind of wizard that would allow you to pick some predefined standards. Or, like some android apps that Nirbhay showed me, a wizard that would do the whole thing, calculate the needed reinforcement and place the bars...
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

amrit3701 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:10 pm Hello everyone,

Here is my TODO task list which I will complete before final phase evaluation:
1. Complete circular stirrup (spiral) which Yorik posted it in his previous post in this thread.
2. Create wiki pages for all rebar shapes which I completed.
3. Add "Apply" button in all dialog boxes of rebar shapes.
4. Add user facility to give custom spacing when he/she creating rebar. Now user gives custom spacing after creating rebar with rebar tool.
5. Also, discuss with Yorik that can we add rebar tools as default FreeCAD feature.
Also completed my 3rd TODO task. ;) See this: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 71#p187316

Thanks,
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

amrit3701 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:10 pm
yorik wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:44 pm
Here is my TODO task list which I will complete before final phase evaluation:
1. Complete circular stirrup (spiral) which Yorik posted it in his previous post in this thread.
2. Create wiki pages for all rebar shapes which I completed.
3. Add "Apply" button in all dialog boxes of rebar shapes.
4. Add user facility to give custom spacing when he/she creating rebar. Now user gives custom spacing after creating rebar with rebar tool.
5. Also, discuss with Yorik that can we add rebar tools as default FreeCAD feature.
Also, completed my 4th task in the TODO list. Now, a user can also give custom spacing when he/she creating rebar. My all TODO tasks are completed. ;)

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

amrit3701 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:42 pm Also, completed my 4th task in the TODO list. Now, a user can also give custom spacing when he/she creating rebar. My all TODO tasks are completed. ;)
Does it mean you have some time left for haveing a look at the material shedule? From my point of view the most important needed feature in FreeCADs rebar tools. All the smart tools are useless without an material shedule.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Tested your latest code Amritpal, all looks okay!

I changed the order of the icons in the Arch toolbar to have your first, and the original custom rebar last... It makes more sense.

Don't forget to update the readme of your github repo for Google's final evaluation... Ideally you should provide simple instructions for someone who has never heard about FreeCAD to try and test your work, but I don't know if that is very easy to write :D

In any case you should provide a good explanation about what it does, how the code is structured, etc

I don't think there is enough time for what you propose Bernd, this week is "wrap it up", deadline is next monday or so... But hopefully Amritpal will stay around after that, what would we do without him now :)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:32 pm But hopefully Amritpal will stay around after that, what would we do without him now :)
+1
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

bernd wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am Does it mean you have some time left for haveing a look at the material shedule? From my point of view the most important needed feature in FreeCADs rebar tools. All the smart tools are useless without an material shedule.
Hi Bernd,

GSoC deadline for final evaluation is almost very near(only 3 days left). Now, I am more focusing on documenting the project. But no doubt, I will continue this project after GSoC also. ;)

Regads,
Amritpal Singh
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

amrit3701 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:32 am
bernd wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am Does it mean you have some time left for haveing a look at the material shedule? From my point of view the most important needed feature in FreeCADs rebar tools. All the smart tools are useless without an material shedule.
Hi Bernd,

GSoC deadline for final evaluation is almost very near(only 3 days left). Now, I am more focusing on documenting the project. But no doubt, I will continue this project after GSoC also. ;)

Regads,
Sweet!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs