Tangency checker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

Tangency checker

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Hi, I'd like to propose a function for checking tangency in the code base, not for us users.

Background: basically every day there are somebody experiencing an issue where this shortcoming of OCC is showing its ugly face.

Perhaps there is a way of making such a function and make it easy to find and erase it from the code base the day this issue is fixed by the OCC-guys?

Of course it would be nice if us users got a visual hint of what is tangent with a proposed solution, e.g. "Try to move marked surface away from adjacent surface or make it intersect properly".
Pauvres_honteux

Re: Tangency checker

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Any one seen a solution on this one?
It est, the possibility would open up to force a surface to be tangent to another surface/surfaces.
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
emills2

Re: Tangency checker

Post by emills2 »

the fill surface in the surface workbench does that, when it can. The functionality has been in OCC for a long time.

controlling tangency, curvature, and curvature flow are advanced end goals , not a starting condition you can just declare.

the fill tool has options for G1 and G2. i have not succeeded in producing a single G2 surface, even though i am feeding in carefully prepared G2 boundaries. maybe i can get the result i need by using guides instead of setting G2 to surrounding faces.

the G1 option to surrounding faces is doing pretty good so far, and i i have personally decided that the surface workbench G1 surface is better overall than my 'star' surface, because my 'star' surface is ugly in the middle, even though it is mathematically better (G2) at the edges.

Many times, i have blamed CAD tools for failing to close a surface for me, but the reality is the hole i wanted to close had no reasonable solution. not all questions have answers, and some things that look like questions have built in contradictions that makes them impossible to answer.
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 pm force a surface to be tangent to another surface/surfaces
there won't always be a valid solution for this. i think we just need more workable examples for the surface workbench. i was pretty happy with my final result here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 93#p234293