freecad.org domain

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: freecad.org domain

Post by chrisb »

salp wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 am It cant hurt to try
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

good idea salp!
andrew.j.smart1988

Post by andrew.j.smart1988 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:27 am If people search for FreeCAD they hit immediately freecadweb.org. So it is no problem to find us.
TD;LR; This is the proper approach.

-----------------------------------------

You don't have to have filed a trademark in order for them to be infringing. Through U.S. common law, and presumably every other nation's common law, FreeCAD developers/contributors collectively already own the "FreeCAD" mark, and the freecad.org registration infringes on that. See USPTO first video, 8m-15m (the U.S. stance is at times a bit "the-world-revolves-around-my-head IMO).

I pity the individuals who got suckered into the get-rich-quick scheme of buying domain name products of similar name to existing organizations- such articles were probably authored by multiple web hosting companies to drive demand for their products.

Search for registered trademarks on the Madrid system. The Madrid system was set up through international law. The cost for registering FreeCAD as a trademark internationally through the Madrid system does not make sense for FreeCAD to do, you are not a medium/large international company competitively dealing in goods/services in specific regions:
The cost of an international trademark registration includes the basic fee (653 Swiss francs*), plus additional costs depending on the nature of your mark, where you want to protect it, and how many classes of goods and services will be covered by your registration.

For example, to register a trademark in both India and the European Union, with no color elements and for one class of goods, the total cost will be 1'612 Swiss francs [653 basic fee + 62 (one class in India) + 897 (one class in the European Union)].

Additional fees apply for the modification, expansion and renewal of your trademark portfolio.

* If you file your application in the IP Office of a Least Developed Country (LDC), your basic fee will be reduced by 90% (to 65 Swiss francs).
There are a gazillion different domain name permutations on "freecad" and possible suffixes. Don't bother buying any more domain names than you need. Don't bother with the expense of registering the trademark formally, you already own it through common law. Carry on.

And thank you for this great software! You've done a great service to the world!

EDIT: Give Richard Stallman or someone else at at the FSF a ring if you have additional legal concerns. I've donated $10-20 to them years ago. I don't know of all the services that they can provide but perhaps they can help ensure that your things are in order and protected (e.g. negotiate for a formal trademark? idk).
bill

Post by bill »

Regardless of all the mumbo jumbo legalize, possession is nine-tenths (9/10) of the law in most countries. In some cases it is 10/10, such as squatters in the west bank.

Here is what I have found from investigation:
fc_orig.png
fc_orig.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
fcweb.png
fcweb.png (18.32 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
IF this information can be trusted ( ) :

The biggest problem! freecad.org pre-dates freecadweb.org by 7 years.

Question: When did freecadweb.org first post a site on the INTERNET?

Information: Typically, dubdubdub.org domain names cost/yearly more that dubdubdub.com or dubdubdub.net.

Information: Sometimes/Often registered domain names never expire because they are owned by the REGISTRAR or an organization working with the registrar. No domain reg. fees are ever paid/exchanged. The domain just sits in limbo; waiting for a customer.

This particular REGISTRAR looks to me like a Caribean Pirate working out of Nevis/St. Kitt; good old fashion OFF-SHORE business that cannot be touched by ANY countries LAW.

RECOMMEMDATION: Address these matters out-of-band of this OPEN message board.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Hi Bill,
thanks for the info. Heres is some additional about vautron
hosting freecadweb.org. source: www.bundesanzeiger.de
vautron.JPG
vautron.JPG (149.74 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I tried to buy freecad.org and I saw this: "Price does not meet the minimum offer of $2,000" :D

Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution is probably the only option and looks like having registered trademark is not required [1]

Important section:
"(ii) you (as an individual, business, or other organization) have been commonly known by the domain name, even if you have acquired no trademark or service mark rights;"

[1] https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/help/dndr/udrp-en
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I had a chat with one of the "salespersons" who owns freecad.org (it's a company that owns and speculates over domain names). Indeed no chance there...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Are those idiot crooks aware that nobody will ever pay for this domain name? What a bunch of damn parasites.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

PrzemoF wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:24 pm Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution is probably the only option and looks like having registered trademark is not required [1]

Important section:
"(ii) you (as an individual, business, or other organization) have been commonly known by the domain name, even if you have acquired no trademark or service mark rights;"

[1] https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/help/dndr/udrp-en
Isn't there a single lawyer among the FreeCAD users, who is willing to sue this company to free tha name? The threat of having to give it away for nothing may increase the willingness to give it away for small money.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Even giving a small amount of money would be far too much money. Don't give a cent to thieves.