Feature request: Active object name in title

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Sam

Feature request: Active object name in title

Postby Sam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:13 am

A few times now, while fooling around, I've wondered what object/body/sketch/watever I'm editing. (Long session with lots of similar looking things)

It occurs to me that either the title bar in the relevant edit dialog, or the window title, could show this information.

Thoughts?
triplus

Re: Feature request: Active object name in title

Postby triplus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 am

Sam wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:13 am
A few times now, while fooling around, I've wondered what object/body/sketch/watever I'm editing. (Long session with lots of similar looking things)

It occurs to me that either the title bar in the relevant edit dialog, or the window title, could show this information.

Thoughts?
If you will look closely i the tree view you will notice active Part/Body is always highlighted (blue). And the same is true for Sketch in edit mode (yellow).
Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 am

My screen is really far too small for a CAD package. When editing something, the tree view is replaced by the relevant tasks view. I got sick of switching back and forth.

A few minutes ago , though, I noticed the selection view panel, which does pretty much exactly what I want. But it uses valuable real estate.
Last edited by Sam on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplus

Postby triplus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:10 am

Sam wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 am
My screen is really far to small for a CAD package.
Well i don't want to be too obvious but i guess you know what the proper solution is then. ;)
triplus

Postby triplus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:27 am

Sam wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 am
A few minutes ago , though, I noticed the selection view panel, which does pretty much exactly what I want. But it uses valuable real estate.
Something like that is available in the status bar. But i am guessing you have it hidden? Looking at it and your initial description both solutions don't provide ability to show active Part/Body or Sketch in edit mode. Therefore i am guessing what you are really after is functionality as available in the status bar? But you would like to have it in the title bar?
Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 pm

triplus wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:10 am
Well i don't want to be too obvious but i guess you know what the proper solution is then. ;)
:D It's a long story, but I am temporarily without all of my proper nerd gear. It's killing me! My toys... My lovely toys!
triplus wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:27 am
Something like that is available in the status bar. But i am guessing you have it hidden? Looking at it and your initial description both solutions don't provide ability to show active Part/Body or Sketch in edit mode. Therefore i am guessing what you are really after is functionality as available in the status bar? But you would like to have it in the title bar?
Gah! It was right in front of my bloody eyes! I couldn't find anywhere to see the internal name of an object. That is insanely handy! I've seen it before, obviously, but I must have been having a mental yawn when I actually wanted to use it.

One thing though; could it show the label as well as the internal name? I mean, it's an excellent thing as it is, and I can't believe I didn't see it when I needed it, but I am in the habit of naming my things. I feel that makes my drawings more manageable.
triplus

Postby triplus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Sam wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 pm
... but I am temporarily ...
Basically already resolved then. ;)
Gah! It was right in front of my bloody eyes! I couldn't find anywhere to see the internal name of an object. That is insanely handy! I've seen it before, obviously, but I must have been having a mental yawn when I actually wanted to use it.
Such things happen to all of us occasionally.
One thing though; could it show the label as well as the internal name? I mean, it's an excellent thing as it is, and I can't believe I didn't see it when I needed it, but I am in the habit of naming my things. I feel that makes my drawings more manageable.
Likely yes but for that you would need to create a feature request on the issue tracker and see how it goes.
Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:45 am

triplus wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:34 pm
create a feature request on the issue tracker
Created issue #3153

If I had the time to set up a build env I'd submit a PR myself. Sigh. One day.

Thanks for your help triplus.
triplus

Postby triplus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:23 am

Sam wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:45 am
Thanks for your help triplus.
You're welcome.
If I had the time to set up a build env I'd submit a PR myself. Sigh. One day.
As the saying goes it's done when it is done. ;)
Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Well, I have a build environment set up, I think I can tackle this, and I think it's a paper cut worth fixing. (To use an Ubuntuism)

I've noticed this happening in a few places now
  • I think the status bar should always show the label as well as the internal name
  • I think the dialogs (excuse my terminlogy) that allow selection of an object should show the label instead of the internal name. I find it frustrating when I've renamed something and now I can't identify it in, say, a PDN polar pattern dialog.
I'm going to get started on the status bar stuff.

I'd like some feedback on the dialogs.