Ticket #2474: Linking projects to external spreadsheets

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
silopolis

Ticket #2474: Linking projects to external spreadsheets

Postby silopolis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi

As asked by kunda1 following my comment on issue #2474 about LibreOffice Calc integration via GUI, I'm opening this thread to drag others attention and comments on the subject.

Without a doubt, power of a full featured spreadsheet program should certainly be useful in a number of projects ! (see bug report above, as well as this post). Plus, after more reading here, it appears (without surprise) that I'm not the first to think about using LO Calc in parallel of FC: @jmaustpc thought about it already three years ago.

AFAIC, linking models to external spreadsheets presents another VERY important and powerful advantage that is being able to centralize and share parameters between models. This would allow me to put all common parameters in a LO Calc "project sheet", and link/dynamicaly import it in all parts and assembly files.
This way:
* modifying a parameter in the central sheet would "spread" into the whole project
* misses and errors in duplicating values and cells aliases in all spreadsheets in all project files would be avoided.

Looking for a solution for this, I found this page https://freecad-tutorial.blogspot.fr/20 ... ffice.html which may present the beginning of a solution with 2 way (!) communication between a LO sheet and a FreeCAD model.

Reading more of the great documentation while writing this message, I discovered in the "Expressions" page that variables defined in spreadsheets can be referenced across FC documents, which provides a solution for the data sharing need :) Just wish I had discovered this before diving in my current furniture project... For this, I think the "Cross-document linking" section of the "Expressions" documentation page would be better placed in the "Spreadsheet workbench" page.
Last edited by silopolis on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1

Re: Linking projects to external spreadsheets

Postby Kunda1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks @slioposis
Can you please prepend: Ticket #2474 to the topic of this thread. Thanks!
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 am

silopolis wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:13 pm
I'm not the first to think about using LO Calc in parallel of FC: @jmaustpc thought about it already three years ago.
By the way, I not only thought about it, I did it, sort of.

Someone else posted here how to do it and a few of us tried it out a long time ago, via a project that allowed Iibre office to be accessed from Python if memory serves me correctly.

It did work but I think it was a bit unweildy, from memory.

silopolis wrote:
Reading more of the great documentation while writing this message, I discovered in the "Expressions" page that variables defined in spreadsheets can be referenced across FC documents, which
it is true that you can, but from memory the developer who wrote Expressions said it had limitations.
silopolis

Re: Ticket #2474: Linking projects to external spreadsheets

Postby silopolis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 am

@kunda1: done

@jmaustpc: about LO Calc linking, great you did it ! Can you remember if the method you used was the one in the blog post I referenced ? About cross referencing spreadsheets, still have to give it a shot, but thank you for warning me :)
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 am

jmaustpc wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 am
silopolis wrote:
Reading more of the great documentation while writing this message, I discovered in the "Expressions" page that variables defined in spreadsheets can be referenced across FC documents, which
it is true that you can, but from memory the developer who wrote Expressions said it had limitations.
@jmaustpc who wrote expressions?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:17 pm

I think it was eivindkvedalen.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:27 am

Kunda1 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 am
@jmaustpc who wrote expressions?
chrisb wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:17 pm
I think it was eivindkvedalen.
Yes, it was.
marcossilvasp

Postby marcossilvasp » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi guys,
I can't find the files below:
klucz_en.ods
klucz.fcstd
the links in the
https://freecad-tutorial.blogspot.fr/20 ... ffice.html
are broken.
Could one of you please send me these files ?
I'll really appreciate...
Thanks
Marcos