Sweet Home 3D integration/collaboration

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Sweet Home 3D integration/collaboration

Post by Kunda1 »

Ferdolino wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:35 am Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I hope you can help me. I want to create furniture in FreeCAD and then use it in Sweet Home 3D. I have already done this with the Part Workbench and an export in OBJ format. The import into SH3D also worked well. The problem I still have is that the different parts in SH3D are not selectable, e.g. to give different colors or textures. So my question is what needs to be done in FreeCAD to make this possible.
Thanks for the inquiry. SH3D integration could use more love and so your inquiry is welcome.
Several things:
1) Please post your FreeCAD version (About) and SH3D version
2) Attach an example FCStd file
3) Attach an example SH3D file
4) Explain exactly what the expected behavior you'd like to achieve, sometimes screencasts or videocaptures can help here beside words
5) Open a thread on the SH3D forum so that increases the odds of us figuring this out by referencing devs in their community
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Ferdolino

Post by Ferdolino »

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I will try to explain my problem a little bit closer.

I'm using FreeCAD version 0.18 and SH3D version 6.4.2. What I would like to do is to create a model in FreeCAD, export it in OBJ format and import it in SH3D with the possibility to change there for example the colors of the differnt parts seperately. In the following screenshot you can see how the customization works with an original SH3D model. Here I can pick and choose the differnt parts. Sorry, it is in german language but nervertheless the function should be recognizable.

I created a simple model as a test. Please find it attached. The model is consisting of two parts in different colors. The import in SH3D worked but it is all one color and it seams that it is merched to one part.

I hope I was able to describe it more prezise. Unfortunatel it's not possible to place the SH3D file as an attachment.
Attachments
Kitchen_Test.zip
SH3D file
(96.96 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Customization of original SH3D model
Customization of original SH3D model
Screenshot 2020-12-22 140720.png (40.42 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Customization of FreeCAD model
Customization of FreeCAD model
Screenshot 2020-12-22 144926.png (16.49 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
Kitchen_Island_Test.FCStd
Test model
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Last edited by Ferdolino on Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Please attach your images to the post itself, same way you attached the FCStd file. They are not visible now.
For files not accepted by the forum you can ZIP them and then attach.
Ferdolino

Post by Ferdolino »

Sorry! Images are attached now.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Ferdolino wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:16 pm I hope I was able to describe it more prezise. Unfortunatel it's not possible to place the SH3D file as an attachment.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Ferdolino

Post by Ferdolino »

Got it, thanks! The SH3D file is also there now.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

The question is what does SH3D expect ?
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

I am not expert on the workflow of SH3D to create furniture. But I think you are exporting all the object as one mesh. I think you should ask in the SH3D forum, because they know the right method for modeling with Blender, and other CAD programs to create libraries of 3D furniture for SH3D.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
Ferdolino

Post by Ferdolino »

I think you should ask in the SH3D forum, because they know the right method for modeling with Blender, and other CAD programs to create libraries of 3D furniture for SH3D.
Following the recommendation from Kunda1 I've also opened a thread in the SH3D forum. Let's see what comes there. I will post it here in case.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Ferdolino wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:30 pm
I think you should ask in the SH3D forum, because they know the right method for modeling with Blender, and other CAD programs to create libraries of 3D furniture for SH3D.
Following the recommendation from Kunda1 I've also opened a thread in the SH3D forum. Let's see what comes there. I will post it here in case.
Link please, so we can track here.