I'm going to the GSOC mentors summit!

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: I'm going to the GSOC mentors summit!

Post by easyw-fc »

yorik wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm The thing is, you can be threatened to be sued. That doesn't mean you will get effectively sued, or even that such action has any chance to succeed. But what will you do if you receive suddenly a letter that says "If you don't stop immediately developing this thing, we'll sue you for millions of dollars". That's the usual strategy. And, contrarily to what I thought until I talked with Ton and François, it IS used against opens-source software developers.
this is a commercial war... and it is a pity that is still in use...
I think in the event of such a case, some lawyer at FSF may give good advices or even some sort of assistance to a well known open source project as FreeCAD is...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm The thing is, you can be threatened to be sued. That doesn't mean you will get effectively sued, or even that such action has any chance to succeed. But what will you do if you receive suddenly a letter that says "If you don't stop immediately developing this thing, we'll sue you for millions of dollars". That's the usual strategy. And, contrarily to what I thought until I talked with Ton and François, it IS used against opens-source software developers.
I was in a talk with a member of a Chilean IP organization and she explained to us that the first thing you must do in business is to define a plan of patents registration. I do not know what it is the status of an open source software in this sense.

Maybe you should:
1) To ask for advice with your national IP organization (universities have this kind of knowledge too).
2) To ask for advice with open source organizations (FSF, OSI, etc).
3) To ask for advice with older open source projects (maybe and aliance anti-patent war)
4) To define a plan for FreeCAD code protection.
5) To define a plan of action against competitor threats.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

This is probably a good time to remember previous discussion about the Software Freedom Conservancy, which might help address some of these future issues: https://sfconservancy.org/
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:42 amThis is probably a good time to remember previous discussion about the Software Freedom Conservancy, which might help address some of these future issues: https://sfconservancy.org/
Exactly. I'm looking at it again now...